ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X-ITX+ BIOS 3.20 update no video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM2A88X-ITX+ BIOS 3.20 update no video
    Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 10:41pm
Dear *

Last time when I used AMD platform based on AMD K6 and Via chipset was in the beginning of millennium. All time I used Intel so I decide give a try for AMD one time more.
A month ago I bought a brand new components for small factor PC. My configuration:

CPU:   A10-7870K
MB:    ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+  (BIOS 2.40)
RAM:  G.Skill 16GB DDR3-2400  F3-2400C11D-16GXM
SSD:  Crucial M550 mSATA 512GB  CT512M550SSD3
PSU:  Enermax Triathlor Eco 350W
Case: Cooltek Coolcube

When I assembled whole system the first problem was a high temperature. According CPUIS HWMonitor using a stock cooler even on low load I had temperature  about 55-57C. However I found a solution with a huge cooler on:

I had a plan to buy this cooler, but before I decided to upgrade system from BIOS 2.40 to latest one 3.20. I did it from Windows 10 PRO x64 ASrock APPStore.

Update goes well. PC safely restart and opens for me a BIOS where I put all fans on silent mode. I checked BIOS HW monitor temperature was 68C (CPU) and 63C (sick!). I decide to save all my changes and  immediately restart the system and then shut it down.

After restarting my LCD screen that connected via a VGA cable with MB did not provide any video output from MB. I shutdown PC manually, then I cooled it down for 1 hour and start it again. No video.
I cleared CMOS, removed battery for 1 hour, removed one 1 module of RAM and checked of RAM sitting wel, I checked screen and cable on old PC. No success.

Any solution on my situation? May I go back somehow to BIOS 2.40?

Thank you.

Edited by TDron - 01 Jan 2016 at 4:27am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 11:15pm
You can order a new BIOS chip directly from ASRock for $5.00 if you cannot get the system to post and suspect it could be a corrupt BIOS.

Given you were able to post and boot after the update though I suspect something else is likely the culprit. Your temps should not be anywhere near that high. It may be worth reseating the CPU and looking for bent/damaged pins.
TDron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:32am
Thank you for your replay. I checked all CPU pins, they looks ok. It will be strange if they are broken because on 2.40 everything works pretty fine. Except that, I have 2 times BSOD on windows 10.
I have contacted ASRock for this issue. Due the holidays they out of office. However, I found some interesting feature, a ASRock Crashless BIOS. However it is not clear how to use it.

Happy New Year everyone!PartyBeerStar

Edited by TDron - 01 Jan 2016 at 3:42am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 4:05am
Remember, while in the BIOS browsing around your CPU is likely running at or near 100% duty.

Your manual has a good section on how to use the Crash-less BIOS Feature.

If you have a spare graphics card there, that should get you back into viewing the BIOS. If you do, I'd suggest resetting the BIOS back to Defaults, promptly reboot, and again enter the BIOS to make any necessary changes.

And the cooler that that CPU comes with Retail Boxed, pardon me, is garbage.
TDron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 4:26am
Manual provides information like:

"ASRock Crashless BIOS
ASRock Crashless BIOS allows users to update their BIOS
without fear of failing. If power loss occurs during the BIOS update
process, ASRock Crashless BIOS will automatically inish
the BIOS update procedure after regaining power. Please note
that BIOS iles need to be placed in the root directory of your
USB disk. Only USB2.0 ports support this feature."

Looks straight forward, but without any video on POST makes me this operation a bit uncomfortable.

Yes I have one from my old PC. It is a MSI NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, but it is PCI-E 2.0 x16.
As I see the MB supports  PCI-E 3.0 x16. Will it also support my old video card?
About CPU stock cooler agree. However coolers from intel were ok especially last couple generations. Therefore I believed by AMD it will be more or less the same situation. Looks like not 68C is pretty a lot. Just 4 degree lower then allowed thermal maximum of the CPU.

Edited by TDron - 01 Jan 2016 at 4:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic