ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ConRoe945G-DVI and AHCI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe pineapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ConRoe945G-DVI and AHCI?
    Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 11:26pm
Was going to fit an ssd and I know the board only supports sata2, but wondering if it at least supports ahci, maybe with a later bios.  I couldn't find it on mine.

thanks
joe
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 1:43am
I highly doubt it but even in IDE mode an SSD will make a huge difference to the responsiveness of your system.
joe pineapples View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe pineapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:33pm
Thanks for the reply.  We went ahead and fitted one, and it has transformed and old pc (plus installed windows 10). :)

One other question I meant to ask.  As I understand it, this boards chipset will only allow it to use the first 3.2gig of ram (even though windows actually sees 4gig....very frustrating).  I don't suppose a bios update was ever done to unlock the extra memory? (if that was ever possible).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:52pm
Unfortunately, No. A BIOS update won't fix the 4GB limit. That is inherent to the 945G chipset itself. 32bit.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27720/Intel-82945G-Memory-Controller

joe pineapples View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe pineapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 6:11pm
Thanks  wardog.

Trust me to choose a board with this limitation (2 spare ram sockets going begging to rub it in) :(
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 6:53pm
True, but remember that chipset was around when 512MB and 1GB sticks were the thing.

You missed that boat by I believe one newer chipset!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic