FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 OC 100% Thermal Throttling at 25 degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 OC 100% Thermal Throttling at 25 degrees
    Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm
I assume a large switch for Slow Mode was considered unnecessary, since most owners of these boards won't ever use it. Plus a large switch adds cost for a rarely used feature.

The trick of enabling processor thermal throttling to create a locked slow speed processor mode is simply using a capability Intel built into their processors for another purpose. That is, protecting the processor from heat damage.

There are multiple types of processor thermal throttling, or levels with different behaviors for different situations. The one used for Slow Mode is a high level emergency type of thermal throttling that is close to or possibly one step before the mandatory shutdown of the processor to prevent thermal damage.

As long as the special register or bit within that register is set to On/True, the core speeds are set to their lowest value, VCore is reduced accordingly, and other processor parameters are set to low power states. Nothing else is checked to determine if throttling is no longer needed, such as core temperatures. Your core temps were well below their maximum values, but that made no difference in deactivating the throttling.

A nice fail safe mechanism that fortunately we rarely if ever experience in our use of these processors.
Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:54am
I can understand the logic of the slow mode switch but not as a tiny little dip switch. I'd expect it to be a larger toggle button right along with the + and - to easily press. Especially in case of an emergency. It is interesting that it just triggers thermal throttling. 

Thanks for the quick responses. It is great how fast the OC community is willing to try and help. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:53am
Now knock it off before Xaltar perm-bans us both!

You know how he is concerning idle chatter Geek

Edited by wardog - 01 Jan 2016 at 3:53am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:50am
That's what I get for simply copying it from yours.

Back when I too dabbled as a chemistry major. So much so it took a lot of time away from attending and studying while in high school. Embarrassed

I've adjusted well though. Tongue
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:14am
Subscript... no just font size 1.

I was a chemistry major at one time, and OCD about some things.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:37pm
As you said, there's not a whole bunch of us that have ceramic pots and buy LN2 on a weekly basis for moonshots.

Mmmm, subscript Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

So sorry for leading you on my goose chase.

Why that's there I don't really know, but it will be remembered.

The OC Formula series of mother boards are designed for use by extreme over clocking enthusiasts... among others.

They use liquid nitrogen (LN2) in a special "pot" that is the CPU cooler. The LN2 must be replenished as their OC to 6GHz+ is being dialed in. If that needs to be done or other maintenance work, considering the next tweak for the OC, or just taking a break, the CPU speed can be changed to 1200MHz at the flip of the Slow Mode switch.

This prevents the need for a shutdown or restart, since the need to super cool the CPU does not happen at 1200MHz. When they are ready to continue, set the Slow Mode switch to Off.

This option will never be used by most of us, but for a mother board to be seriously considered as an extreme over clocking board, features like the Slow Mode switch must be included.

I agree that the default factory setting of On for the Slow Mode switch is not a great idea. Confused

It does force the owner to become better acquainted with the OC Formula's special features.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:19pm
So sorry for leading you on my goose chase.

Why that's there I don't really know, but it will be remembered.
Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:09pm
OMG the slow mode switch was the issue! If you turn it on it instantly sets thermal throttling to 100%. Turned it off booted and it ran just fine. 

Can't believe I missed that I'm usually quite thorough in reading what changes and nuances are in the latest motherboard, this is my first X99 board to play with. 

Much appreciated. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 3:20pm
I think it is meant to be dynamic, as in you can hit the switch if your temps get out of hand during a benchmark or stress test and prevent a crash. The OC formula is heavily optimized for extreme overclocking so it has a number of features that likely only make sense to the extreme clockers that are brave enough to use LN2 etc.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic