ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 OC 100% Thermal Throttling at 25 degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 OC 100% Thermal Throttling at 25 degrees
    Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:03am
I am not new to OCing and this is a new one for me. I am building a video editing machine for a friend. 

I am using the Asrock X99 OC Formula board, with an i7-5930K. Cooling it with the Swiftech H220-X

Before I have even get to over clocking I installed Intel's extreme tuning utility. When I run it thermal throttling is at 100% and the CPU clock stays at 1.2GHz no matter what I do. The core temps are all around 23-27 degrees C. I've restored the default setting in the BIOS, the BIOS is version 1.2 the most recent. I don't see any power management settings, the junction temp cut off is set to 105. The manual actually shows under Voltage Configuration a Power Saving Mode, but I don't see it in the BIOS. Changing the Vcore, CPU multiplier etc has no impact.

I've tried everything I know that might cause the CPU to throttle at a low temp to get the CPU to stop thermal throttling. I am at a loss how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:19am
Going by what you describe and my experiences I'd look to see if one of the heatsinks on the MB came loose? Beginning with the one over the VRM section !

Do you feel the temp is high or low when you get near the sink covering the VRMs?

How about from the backside of the board? This might be a better indicator than from the top side.

---

Pics I can locate appear the sinks are screwed on from the backside. Might check that they're snug/firm/tight.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:26am
And seeings you're using water cooling, can I assume you're making up for the lack of cooling airflow over the VRM sink by positioning an aftermarket 3rd party fan blowing over the VRM sink to cool it?

When water cooling I personally do not rely on case fans. Instead I here use Antec SpotCools directly over the VRM sinks.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

When water cooling I personally do not rely on case fans. Instead I here use Antec SpotCools directly over the VRM sinks.

Clarification

I don't rely on the fans installed in/on the case to get the needed airflow over the VRM sink. All things considered, once you mount the rad things get cramped and tight up in that corner. "That corner' being where the VRM sink resides.

SpotCools allow me to put airflow where it's needed w/o disturbing the flow of air the rad depends.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Enigma Enigma wrote:

I am not new to OCing and this is a new one for me. I am building a video editing machine for a friend. 

I am using the Asrock X99 OC Formula board, with an i7-5930K. Cooling it with the Swiftech H220-X

Before I have even get to over clocking I installed Intel's extreme tuning utility. When I run it thermal throttling is at 100% and the CPU clock stays at 1.2GHz no matter what I do. The core temps are all around 23-27 degrees C. I've restored the default setting in the BIOS, the BIOS is version 1.2 the most recent. I don't see any power management settings, the junction temp cut off is set to 105. The manual actually shows under Voltage Configuration a Power Saving Mode, but I don't see it in the BIOS. Changing the Vcore, CPU multiplier etc has no impact.

I've tried everything I know that might cause the CPU to throttle at a low temp to get the CPU to stop thermal throttling. I am at a loss how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

You are working with a sophisticated board that has a few options/features that are unusual compared to other boards. I've seen this "issue" with other OC Formula users, and I have a different version, but it has the same option that is most likely causing the problem.

Page 7 of the X99 OC Formula manual shows the mother board layout, which I have included below. Item 14 is the Slow Mode switch, which locks the CPU into its lowest speed, 1.2GHz.

I believe you will find the Slow Mode switch set to On, as it normally is from the factory.

I've always wondered how the Slow Mode switch worked. You may have discovered its secret by running IXTU. Or a side affect of the switch causes Thermal Throttling to be set to 100% when it is set to On.

Be sure to shutdown and shut off power to the PC before you set Slow Mode to Off. It seems you may be able to toggle that particular switch with the board powered up, but I'm not 100% sure that is true.

Don't forget to reset anything you changed in the UEFI when you tried to OC, in case you entered any wild values to see if they would be applied. Once Slow Mode is Off, they will be applied.

If you are still having any issues, let us know.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 3:01pm
No kidding? A "Slow Mode' switch......

Any idea why in the world it's there to begin with and, why in the world is it set to this a Degault from the factory?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 3:20pm
I think it is meant to be dynamic, as in you can hit the switch if your temps get out of hand during a benchmark or stress test and prevent a crash. The OC formula is heavily optimized for extreme overclocking so it has a number of features that likely only make sense to the extreme clockers that are brave enough to use LN2 etc.  
Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:09pm
OMG the slow mode switch was the issue! If you turn it on it instantly sets thermal throttling to 100%. Turned it off booted and it ran just fine. 

Can't believe I missed that I'm usually quite thorough in reading what changes and nuances are in the latest motherboard, this is my first X99 board to play with. 

Much appreciated. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:19pm
So sorry for leading you on my goose chase.

Why that's there I don't really know, but it will be remembered.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

So sorry for leading you on my goose chase.

Why that's there I don't really know, but it will be remembered.

The OC Formula series of mother boards are designed for use by extreme over clocking enthusiasts... among others.

They use liquid nitrogen (LN2) in a special "pot" that is the CPU cooler. The LN2 must be replenished as their OC to 6GHz+ is being dialed in. If that needs to be done or other maintenance work, considering the next tweak for the OC, or just taking a break, the CPU speed can be changed to 1200MHz at the flip of the Slow Mode switch.

This prevents the need for a shutdown or restart, since the need to super cool the CPU does not happen at 1200MHz. When they are ready to continue, set the Slow Mode switch to Off.

This option will never be used by most of us, but for a mother board to be seriously considered as an extreme over clocking board, features like the Slow Mode switch must be included.

I agree that the default factory setting of On for the Slow Mode switch is not a great idea. Confused

It does force the owner to become better acquainted with the OC Formula's special features.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic