ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99M Extreme4 4pin fan header no 3pin fan control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99M Extreme4 4pin fan header no 3pin fan control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masterofnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99M Extreme4 4pin fan header no 3pin fan control
    Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:48am
I just got my new X99M Extreme4 rig up a running and it is working great.Hug

However I have run into a huge disappointment. Wacko

I have two 2000 rpm case fans on the front of the case and one is running at 1500 fan2 and fan1 is running at near 2000. Thumbs Down

Fan1 is a 3 pin fan connected to the 4pin fan header.  I have attempted to lower the RPM of the fan in the UEFI but Fan1 in the 4 pin fan header only goes at full throttle.  Confused

Does anyone know how I can get the 4 pin fan header to control the RPMs of a 3 pin fan the way the 3 pin fan header does? LOL

I would like the two fans in the front of the case to run and the same RPM.  Handshake

BTW I now have two ASRock motherboards and when I purchased them it very clearly stated they came with a 3 year warranty.  Clap

On ASRocks web site they very clearly state they only back their board for one year. Cry

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 3:00pm
Four pin fan headers are typically of two types on mother boards, although IMO they really should not be configured that way.

True four pin PWM speed controlled fan headers, as the CPU FAN1 header always is on any modern mother board, will ONLY control the speed of four pin PWM fans.

That is not a new standard, and every Intel stock CPU cooler has a four pin PWM controlled fan. I insist upon four pin PWM fans on my CPU coolers, the automatic speed change with temperature is a great and basic feature that I would not do without.

All three pin fans use voltage control to change their speeds. As said above, you cannot expect a three pin voltage speed controlled fan to have its speed controlled by a four pin PWM header.

ASRock usually also provides PWM speed control on the four pin Chassis 1 fan header. Many boards may use voltage control on what appears to be a four pin PWM header, which causes confusion for some users when their three pin fans can have their speed controlled on these four pin fan headers. These fake PWM fan headers are a true disappointment to users like myself, that find their PWM fans will not operate over the full RPM range that PWM provides.

You did not specify which fan headers you are using for the two, three pin chassis fans, but clearly one of the headers you are using is a true four pin PWM controlled header.

The board does not have any problem with its fan headers. I'm sorry you are disappointed with your three pin fan's operation on a four pin PWM fan header, but nothing can be done about that. You are simply using a fan (three pin) on a fan header (four pin PWM speed controlled) that is not compatible with three pin fans.

Your board only has one three pin fan header that can control the speed of a three pin fan. It might be possible to use a one to two fan splitter cable, to power and control both fans from the single three pin fan header. The power usage of the fans will determine if that would work. The label on the fan's center hub normally states the current in Amps used by the fan.

Personally, I wish three pin fans would be phased out, and all fans would be four pin PWM speed controlled.

Regarding the board's warranty, where did you see it stated that the board has a three year warranty?
Masterofnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masterofnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:11pm
You did not know Newegg is clearly selling these boards with a  3 year parts and labor warranty???  Wacko

Newegg???  Confused  They have been advertising that for years. Ermm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157544
  Clap

How could you not know that??  Thumbs Down

"You did not specify which fan headers you are using for the two"  Stern Smile

Yes I did,  I clearly stated Fan1 that is the 4 pin chassis fan header.  Wink

BTW  I could use the PWR_FAN1 connector instead of a splitter.  Clap  But I would have to run the fan wire across the motherboard as because the PWR_FAN1 header is in the middle of the board. Censored

"every Intel stock CPU cooler has a four pin PWM controlled fan" LOL

Ya, I know that I am clearly talking about Chassis fans there is a big difference between a CPU cooling fan and a Chassis fan. Geek

Don't you think I would be  a good idea for the Chassis fan headers on the board to be able to run the Chassis fans at the same speed???Hug

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:34pm
What newegg offers as waranty is binding, so you are covered by them for 3 years vs the ASRock standard 1 year. I don't see what is confusing, if anything it is incentive to buy from them which is likely exactly why they offer a 3 year warranty. Now if you purchased from elsewhere and they adhere to the standard 1 year warranty and are complaining that ASRock offers less than newegg that isn't the fault of the manufacturer, that is incentivized marketing on the part of newegg. Manufacturers often have extended warranty plans for distributors, it costs the distributor an additional fee and in all likelihood that is the case with newegg as they are a very large distributor.
Masterofnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masterofnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:03pm
I was not complaining just stating that when I purchased the board it stated a 3 year parts and labor warranty.  Clap

That is usually provided by the manufacturer. LOL

So after a year someone would send the board to Newegg and they would repair it? Question

That was just a simple question.  LOL

Did you not read the post???Confused

Parsec asked where I had seen the boards advertised with a 3 year parts and labor warranty.  Shocked

I was however a bit disappointed that the two case fan headers on the motherboard can not run the case fans at the same speed. Thumbs Down 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic