ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock z170 Pro4 VRM?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock z170 Pro4 VRM?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:02pm
Hello, i want to know what VRM components on AsRock z170 Pro4? What exact name of PWM controller? What exact name of Mosfets on a AsRock z170 Pro4 has? This is very important information for me, please look for it if you don't know, i believe AsRock the last place where i can find this information.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:49pm
All I know for sure is that it is a 10 phase power design. I can't find any info on the mosfets or the PWM. You can try contacting ASRock Tech support via the support page which can be accessed directly from the forums by clicking the "support" text in the upper right hand corner of each forum page, you may have to scroll up to find it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:50pm
Information about the device product code for PWM controllers and VRM power MOSFETs is rarely if ever provided by mother board manufactures.

If it is given, it will be only for high end boards, and even then the information will likely be marketing terms, such as Dr MOS or Dual Stack MOSFETs.

Your best chance of finding that information will be from reviews of mother boards, or in independent PC forums that have threads on the topic of VRM components. A reviewer may remove the VRM heatsinks to view the part numbers, or an owner of the board will do the same and post it in a forum thread.

IMO, the concern over VRM components is a topic that is beyond the understanding of anyone besides electrical engineers. A person in a forum post declaring that one part is better than another does not begin to judge how well a VRM design will truly perform. The only way to judge a VRM stage is to test it, and I have yet to see anyone test a VRM with the appropriate tools.
johnwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

All I know for sure is that it is a 10 phase power design. I can't find any info on the mosfets or the PWM. You can try contacting ASRock Tech support via the support page which can be accessed directly from the forums by clicking the "support" text in the upper right hand corner of each forum page, you may have to scroll up to find it.
Thanks, i submit this question, even through i don't own this board yet(so i don't know SN)
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Information about the device product code for PWM controllers and VRM power MOSFETs is rarely if ever provided by mother board manufactures.
If it is given, it will be only for high end boards, and even then the information will likely be marketing terms, such as Dr MOS or Dual Stack MOSFETs.

Your best chance of finding that information will be from reviews of mother boards, or in independent PC forums that have threads on the topic of VRM components. A reviewer may remove the VRM heatsinks to view the part numbers, or an owner of the board will do the same and post it in a forum thread.

IMO, the concern over VRM components is a topic that is beyond the understanding of anyone besides electrical engineers. A person in a forum post declaring that one part is better than another does not begin to judge how well a VRM design will truly perform. The only way to judge a VRM stage is to test it, and I have yet to see anyone test a VRM with the appropriate tools.
I think it's kinda weird advertise VRM's 10 phase design, but don't provide any detailed information about it. Unfortunately i can't find any reviews about this board, or photos without heatsink etc . This is why i thought manufacturer can provide the details, but i guess i was wrong. Even if you create the board who knows what on it. And i don't think it's geeky want to know the most important thing in whole MB.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:17am
Not geeky at all, far too many people are oblivious as to the importance of the VRM design and how it effects the entire system. We all too often see people with heat issues or instability because they are trying to overclock on a 4+1 phase power system without understanding what it means and why it does not work very well with a 125w CPU.

It would be great if you could share whatever info you manage to find for anyone else interested.
johnwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:10am
In case someone wondering what if you will ask that from AsRock support here is the answer:
Dear Customer !!
Thanks for your feedback.
Due to the board's design of component and it's layout belong to confidential information, we are not able to provide them to you.
Please understand it and sorry for inconvenience.
Thanks a lot !!
ASRock TSD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 3:24pm
That response does not surprise me at all. I would bet a similar response would be given by other manufactures.

I have noticed recently that one manufacture has listed the type of transistors used as the main power devices in the CPU VRM stage. But that is very unusual and only for one or two high end boards. The type of PWM controller is not listed.

Electronic components are not simple building blocks that are just connected together. The capacitors, inductors also matter, and the circuit design itself is more important than the parts being used. A poor design with expensive parts is still a poor design with poor performance.

Some manufactures have custom production runs of parts used in the CPU VRM stage, and the parts have proprietary markings that are not standard and cannot be cross referenced. Others even remove the markings on the chips or paint over them to keep them a secret.

Sorry to say, to expect to find costly transistors and ICs on a mid-range board that can be had for $110 is not realistic.

Honestly, I am surprised that a PC mother board can even be sold for under $200 and allow a company to be profitable. Intel quotes the price of the Z170 chipset in quantities of 1000 as $47 each.

http://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-GL82Z170-PCH
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:25pm
Graze over the pages of the below link

http://www.overclock.net/t/1572028/z170-vrm-discussion-thread

I don't know if you'll find what your looking for in specifics yet the conversation held there should put your thoughts at ease.

It's actually an awesome technical thread that cover only the Z170 boards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic