ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - top-down blowing design?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

top-down blowing design?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
bjlockie View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 17 Nov 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 1394
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: top-down blowing design?
    Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 11:46pm
I have this motherboard with FD8370FRW8KHK
http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance/index.us.asp?cat=CPU

The FAQ says:
>For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

I have this cooler:
http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml

What is a top-down blowing design?
Back to Top
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 16 May 2015
Location: Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 22988
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:15am
The Gammaxx 300 is not a top down cooler it is what is known as a tower cooler. A top down cooler has the fan oriented parallel to the motherboard. Google search "Top down cooler" and you will be greeted with a broad array of coolers. The best ones for the purpose you need are the type that look like a tower cooler that has been bent 90 degrees and now blows directly onto the motherboard and CPU.
Back to Top
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 403
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:40am
The best I've come across is the Noctua NH-C14S. However, it's not very good if you plan to heavily overclock your CPU, since it's only recommended for max 140W TDP. I think this might be a common problem with these type of coolers.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Back to Top
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 4996
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:30am
Originally posted by bjlockie bjlockie wrote:

I have this motherboard with FD8370FRW8KHK
http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance/index.us.asp?cat=CPU

The FAQ says:
>For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

I have this cooler:
http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml

What is a top-down blowing design?


WOW, someone actually read the fine print in the CPU Support list!! Thumbs Up

bjlockie, good for you, most people don't even notice that. It is important when using an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU.

The reason for that is the CPU VRM heatsink needs air flow over it to keep it cool with the high power usage FX-8000 or FX-9000 series processors. Here's an example of how this works:



But don't think you must use a top down blowing design CPU cooler. It is possible to have enough air flow over the VRM heatsink with the fans in your PC case. Fans mounted in the top and/or the top rear location of your case will provide some air flow over that heatsink. It may be also possible to mount a small (80mm) fan that pushes air across that heatsink.


Back to Top
bjlockie View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 17 Nov 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 1394
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:03am
I read the FAQ after I bought it. :-(
The box should have said it has a limitation.
I think I am ok because I have an Antec One case which has a top case fan and my motherboard temps from th4e BIOS seem ok.

I'm trying to set up Linux to read the temperatures but I'm having problems.

Back to Top
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:37am
http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml

I'd like to think you'd be ok using this.

It's rated for the FX 8-cores and that overhanging fan on the bottom should blow some in the direction of the VRM section anyway.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:


WOW, someone actually read the fine print in the CPU Support list!! Thumbs Up

bjlockie, good for you, most people don't even notice that. It is important when using an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU.


Indeed. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Back to Top
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 403
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 5:54am
I agree with wardog, the VRM temp should be fine with that. My VRM temp (or the temp I'm assuming is the VRM temp) actually went up after installing a top-down blowing CPU cooler. This is because both the CPU and the socket are now cooled more efficiently, meaning that the air that blows over the VRM section is warmer than before, and thus less efficient at keeping it cool. It's the socket temperature I'd worry about most in your case, bjlockie. That's what nearly caused me trouble with a tower cooler. You don't necessarily need to get a new CPU cooler, if you can use a spot fan to blow air on the socket.

OT:

"It is important when using an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU."

Not really true for the latter. There's a reason AMD provides a stock liquid cooler with those CPUs; air cooling is just not enough for that CPU (at least not with something that fits in a normal case). The motherboard needs to be cooled using something else than a top-down blowing CPU cooler.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Back to Top
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

I agree with wardog,  ....


Yea. It doesn't look bad. But OP, keep a close watch at how hot the VRM sinks are.

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:


OT:

"It is important when using an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU."

Not really true for the latter. There's a reason AMD provides a stock liquid cooler with those CPUs; air cooling is just not enough for that CPU (at least not with something that fits in a normal case). The motherboard needs to be cooled using something else than a top-down blowing CPU cooler.


I think more to parsecs point is that an extra fan (jury)rigged to blow over the VRM section is practically a must. More so with boards that are 4+1 and even some cheaper 8+2 boards with no or even skimpy sinks covering them.

Has anyone here ever read what the instruction that come with the included water coolers that come on the high end FX silicon? It'd be really interesting to see whether AMD themselves, like practically everyone else does, not mention additional or supplemental VRM cooling.
Back to Top
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 4996
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 1:59am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

I agree with wardog,  ....


Yea. It doesn't look bad. But OP, keep a close watch at how hot the VRM sinks are.

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:


OT:

"It is important when using an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU."

Not really true for the latter. There's a reason AMD provides a stock liquid cooler with those CPUs; air cooling is just not enough for that CPU (at least not with something that fits in a normal case). The motherboard needs to be cooled using something else than a top-down blowing CPU cooler.


I think more to parsecs point is that an extra fan (jury)rigged to blow over the VRM section is practically a must. More so with boards that are 4+1 and even some cheaper 8+2 boards with no or even skimpy sinks covering them.

Has anyone here ever read what the instruction that come with the included water coolers that come on the high end FX silicon? It'd be really interesting to see whether AMD themselves, like practically everyone else does, not mention additional or supplemental VRM cooling.


This, This, This!!

That is a huge contradiction! An AIO water cooler is needed (minimally) for these processors, which by the nature of their design is as far from a top-down blowing cooler as we can get.

So using an AIO cooler provides zero cooling for the VRM heatsink. Yet the warning note about using a top-down blowing CPU cooler suddenly becomes unnecessary with an AIO cooler?

Of course not! The illogical nature of this is obvious. Two issues exist, cooling the CPU and VRMs when using FX-8000 and FX-9000 series processors, but the AIO CPU cooler only addresses one of those issues.

Are the 990FX board's VRMs exempt from needing extra cooling? The top-down blowing cooler warning is not mentioned in the 990FX Extreme9 CPU support list, but is included in the 990FX Extreme6 CPU support list, along with the AIO cooler warning. The 990FX Extreme9 has a more robust VRM heatsink, but lesser boards don't.

So your point wardog is extremely important IMO. The 990FX Extreme9 cannot be the example for CPU and VRM cooling for other AMD boards when using the FX-8000 and FX-9000 series processors.
Back to Top
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 403
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 6:23am
Apologies, I read parsec's post all wrong. I thought he was referring to the use of top-down blowing desing, when he was in fact referring to reading the fine print. I also somehow managed to skip over the text after the big image, which would've revealed my error before posting. In short, we all agree on the subject.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Are the 990FX board's VRMs exempt from needing extra cooling? The top-down blowing cooler warning is not mentioned in the 990FX Extreme9 CPU support list, but is included in the 990FX Extreme6 CPU support list, along with the AIO cooler warning. The 990FX Extreme9 has a more robust VRM heatsink, but lesser boards don't.


The Extreme9 also has a 12+2 power phase design, whereas the Extreme6 has 8+2. If I'm not mistaken, the heat load per channel scales pretty much linearly, so that with an 8+2 power phase design each channel has roughly half the heat load than with a 4+1 power phase design. Those extra channels probably go a long way in managing an FX-9xxx CPU. I would also expect the VRM section to be built of higher quality components than on lesser boards. Combining all this with that larger heatsink, it might even be possible to run those beasts on this motherboard without spot fans on the VRM. Strong emphasis on the word "might", though. ;)
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.