ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 Board Broken/Bent Pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike22nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4 Board Broken/Bent Pins
    Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:10pm
Hi all,

I somehow bent a bunch of pins on the motherboard's CPU socket and I am wondering if there's anything I can do about it. Is it possible to replace this myself? I've had the board for almost 2 years now, and I'd rather not have to buy a brand new MB.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 2:03pm
It all depends on how badly they are bent. A picture would help. 

More often than not though bent pins in motherboard sockets is a death sentence for the board, trying to straighten them often results in either breaking them off or bending other surrounding pins. It takes a steady hand, a very small pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass, preferably one of the ones with a rim light so you can see what you are doing. Sadly its even worse than it used to be when with intel the pins were on the CPU, at least then, even if you broke a pin off you could most often carefully solder it back on.
mike22nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike22nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 2:32pm
Yeah, there were probably 6 or 7 pins bent, I tried to bend them myself and only made it worse, so the socket is definitely done. That being the case, you'd say it's not repairable then? Thanks for the response.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:33pm
Replacing a CPU socket is not something that can be done without specialized equipment. I'm not sure it even can be done at the factory that made the board.

A Z77 board has a LGA1155 socket. There are 1,155 of those tiny pins in this socket. All of them have soldered connections to the mother board. Some of the ground pins in the socket may share a common connection to the board, but they are still soldered in place.

If replacing the socket could even be done, the cost would be almost as much as buying an identical new board. If a board at the factory going through quality inspections had bent pins that could not be easily straightened out, I imagine the board is tossed into the recycle bin.

Sorry to say, your board sounds like it is ruined.

If you want to use your CPU again, don't wait to get another compatible board. Z77 boards are not being made anymore. Newegg in the USA had one Z77 board in stock, the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. Amazon may have some, or used should be available since ASRock sold a lot of these boards. I have two actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic