ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Samsung NVMe driver released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Samsung NVMe driver released
    Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:52pm
here it is...

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
Thanks DooRules, I've been wondering when Samsung would have an update... not for any particular reason.

Looks like a new version of the Magician software too, version 4.9, unless I'm just behind. Embarrassed

Glad to see the Magician software is fully compatible with AMD systems now, with the MS or "latest" AMD storage driver, whatever version that is.

Also the Magician software is compatible with Nvidia chipsets on AMD boards... Pinch  Sorry, I am prejudiced against the Nvidia SATA chipsets. Their tendency to downshift from SATA II to SATA I when connected to a SATA III SSD, which is blamed on the SSD by many users, is frustrating. Wacko
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:33pm
Well well, my Z170 Extreme7+ PC restarted after the Samsung NVMe driver update like the proverbial bat out of heck, even with the Windows 10 ultra-slow boot mode (as I call it), where it checks for updates and who knows what else. Censored

Unless that is something reserved for lucky MS Insiders... Ouch

Time to run a benchmark. Geek

Edited by parsec - 05 Jan 2016 at 11:34pm
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:55pm
Magician 4.9 has been out for awhile now. New driver seems good parsec. Did not hurt performance and been my experience that it sometimes takes a little time for things to settle out so to speak for any benefits to come to light. (maybe that's just me, lol)

Ran some benches to see how it looks...

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 12:25pm
I know what you mean about a driver taking some time to settle in, it's as if the SSD is subtlety changed by the driver over time. Some of that might be a better TRIM implementation with the driver, particularly in RAID mode and RAID 0 TRIM being available. That's not just for RAID arrays, but any single SSD.

You'd be surprised how apparently difficult TRIM can be with drivers and a chipset. I was testing the... ASMedia SATA II½ ports recently with a Sammy 840 Pro. Windows 10 "optimize" TRIM will not finish using the MS storahci driver, it hangs at ~75%. Installing an ASMedia "Win 10" driver from Station Drivers causes my 840 Pro to not be recognized by Win 10. Restarts don't help. Just unbelievable and disappointing.

This is my 256GB 950 as an OS drive, slightly lower results than a new, empty 950, but that is no surprise:

Notice the weird translucent bar with 1063.79MB/s (twice) in it. Ever see that when you hover the mouse pointer over the three Read and Write speed results, when AS SSD is running but the test is over? It shows the minimum and maximum speeds recorded for each test, which is done multiple times for each file size. I managed to get Windows Snipping Tool to pick up that momentary display.

That was shown when the pointer was over the 4K-64 Thrd Read results. Normally the Min and Max can be different by varying amounts, so the result displayed may be an average, or is the maximum value recorded. Notice here how the Min and Max are identical at 1063.79 MB/s, but I get 1027.44 MB/s. I was robbed of speed and points! Wink  That is just strange IMO, who knows what is being calculated by AS SSD. Confused

Just for comparison, this is my 256GB Samsung AHCI SM951 in the same PC:

The SM951 is not a bad SSD at all. Besides the 4K results, which SSD seems preferable? The SM951 does not have 3D V-NAND.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I was testing the... ASMedia SATA II½ ports recently

Love it
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:21pm
Haha so true.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:39pm
So you noticed my little editorial on the ASMedia SATA chipset. Cool The Z170 Extreme7+ has two of those chips. Sleepy

I think I will try testing it again with the MS driver. The design of the ASMedia and most of the Marvell add on SATA chips is such that they use one PCIe lane. For a while now, Intel chipsets have always had PCIe 2.0 support only.

Since the Skylake generation, the chipset now has PCIe 3.0 capability (Intel calls it DMI3), so there is a chance that the increased bandwidth could improve the performance of these extra SATA chips when used with SSDs. That ought to at least bring them up to SATA II¾ performance. Wink

Anyone with a Skylake board with ASMedia SATA support should feel free to try this theory out too.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 1:04pm
So I ran AS SSD on my 840 Pro connected to the ASMedia SATA controller, using the MSoft storahci driver. This is the result:

Isn't that cute. I've never seen this error message from AS SSD. Cleaned up the test file left behind, and tried again a few times, same result. I then tried running AS SSD copied to the 840 Pro itself, although I've never had to do that in the past. Same result every time, same error.

Also tried a restart, no difference. The 840 Pro can be accessed by Windows fine, files are opened and read fine.

I tried running Anvil and Crystal Disk Mark, both also failed. They both did not issue an error message, and just did nothing but were clearly running and doing something (nothing.) I had to kill those two processes to end them, while AS SSD failed more gracefully.

One other odd thing, while the 840 Pro was recognized in the UEFI Storage Configuration screen and in Windows, it was not seen by the System Browser tool in A-Tuning. Meanwhile three PCIe SSDs were recognized by System Browser, two NVMe SSDs and one AHCI SSD. All were connected to the M.2 ports. Wacko

I wonder if I should try another ASMedia driver from Station Drivers. Censored

kainatkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kainatkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:23am
whole discussion is sound good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic