ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB ports mostly stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB ports mostly stopped working
    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:07pm
Several years ago, I built a computer with the H87M-ITX motherboard with the Intel i5-4670K CPU. Recently the USB ports mostly stopped working. I think it's a hardware problem because I have the machine dual booting in Windows and Linux and the USB devices don't work in either OS. But the keyboard and mouse, which are also USB devices, still work. I've tried all of the USB ports and they all show the same behavior (front USB2 and USB3, and rear USB2 and USB3). I'm using a graphics card so I can't plug in a PCI-Express USB card, since there is only one pcie slot. I have also tried to re-flash the BIOS but have not been successful, since it can't read the USB ports and the Internet Flash option in the BIOS seems to not work either. I've tried plugging in USB drives and a USB video camera into the machine without success. The same devices work fine in other machines.

Is there anything that might cause all of the USB ports to stop working at once, and is there any hope for fixing this machine? Buying a new motherboard for this old of a machine is prohibitively expense, just as expensive as buying a new modern motherboard. This machine is primarily for the kids to do school work so I'm not interested in spending a lot of money to fix it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 12:14am
So the keyboard and mouse work on all ports but nothing else?

I would try a powered USB hub, see if that sorts out the issue, both the keyboard
and mouse use very little power so it may be that the power has degraded to the
ports and is no longer enough to power your other devices. On that same note, maybe
try another PSU, USB is 5v so your PSU's 5v rail could be dying. Modern boards
rely almost exclusively on the 12v rail so it wouldn't effect much other than
USB and any internal devices that use 5v (some mechanical laptop hard disks).

Let us know how it goes.
Jonmiky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonmiky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:56pm
If your usb ports not working usb ports not working. Here, in this post, there are 3 free ways to fix it and meanwhile, you can also try change NTFS to FAT32 as it might be caused by a wrong file system.

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Mar 2023 at 6:04pm
stefanheisl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanheisl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanheisl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by BraydenColbourne BraydenColbourne wrote:

I?�m sure lots of people have had the same problems with their USB devices, so it?�s pretty common. A common solution to this problem is to open the device up in a hot environment (like a microwave or a sauna). Using a low-temperature solution (like a hair dryer) helps to dry out the port and get rid of any moisture that may be on the port.

can you recommend something similar?

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Mar 2023 at 6:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanheisl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by stefanheisl stefanheisl wrote:

Originally posted by BraydenColbourne BraydenColbourne wrote:

I?�m sure lots of people have had the same problems with their USB devices, so it?�s pretty common. A common solution to this problem is to open the device up in a hot environment (like a microwave or a sauna). Using a low-temperature solution (like a hair dryer) helps to dry out the port and get rid of any moisture that may be on the port.

can you recommend something similar?

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Mar 2023 at 6:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic