ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 WS - ECC Max Memory support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 12:06pm
Interesting read. Looks like they'd work by my knowledge. Though, we'll see what and how far ASRock cares to comment.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2015/08/PSG2014_2H_FINAL-1.pdf
olihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:12am
Yes I am pretty sure they will work, but will they work when they are more then 128GB in total, that is the big question.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 5:21am
Ok. Just got off the phone with a very nice Tech at ASRock here in the States.

Memory capacity installed is limited by the specific processor, not the BIOS. In the instance of your E5-2697 v3, that would be 768GB.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81059/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v3-35M-Cache-2_60-GHz

Unfortunately they do not have any memory sticks in those sizes there to test thus no way to be  certain that either of those two Samsung sticks would prove compatible or not.

But, if you were to purchase, on the off chance that they didn't function they would work with you at getting a BIOS rolled that did.

About what I expected too. I had my doubts that they'd have on hand that New of DDR4 stick, never mind in 32GB or 64GB capacity. It's still the wild wild west concerning new seemingly daily releases of higher capacity and faster MHz DDR4 sticks and or kits. Never mind we're talking ECC DDR4 here.

EDITED: clarification ""Memory capacity installed is limited by the specific processor, not the BIOS.""

Edited by wardog - 22 Jan 2016 at 5:26am
olihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:03am
This is very good news, though I am a little worried about spending $8000 on 8x64GB chips and not having them working.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:45am
Contact Samsung.

Inquire JUST how different those three sticks you list actually are and if they might work.

Better yet, seeing's you're looking at supporting Samsung and one of their distributors to the tune of $8,000.00, politely ask Samsung or the Distributor to byy the motherboard(pittance to either) and themselves test before you buy them. Thumbs Up

Edited by wardog - 24 Jan 2016 at 4:46am
olihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:27am
Does Asrock ever answer any of their support contacts, I have sent them about 6 in the past and they have answered 1 of them.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:44am
Eh, sorry to say it's hit and miss. Then again, maybe they're awaiting delivery of some Samsung, just sayin'.

Speaking of Samsung or a/the Dist. , have they replied?

Edited by wardog - 31 Jan 2016 at 4:45am
olihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:01am
Samsung says I need to talk to Asrock, I have tried to reach them but they do not reply.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by olihar olihar wrote:

Samsung says I need to talk to Asrock, I have tried to reach them but they do not reply.

Have patience. Everyone there is celebrating the Chinese New Year there so any replies shouldn't be expected until they return back to the offices afterward.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by olihar olihar wrote:

Samsung says I need to talk to Asrock,....

And if I may posit on Samsungs reply to you ......

Wow Samsung! Nice dull way to promote a product. I would have expected a much more helpful response from such a vertically oriented company as you are. That reply borders on uncaring. Heck, it IS uncaring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic