ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi TRX40 Motherboard Does Not Power Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torchlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi TRX40 Motherboard Does Not Power Up
    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
I am building the following system:
Motherboard: Taichi TRX40
Power Supply: Gigabyte P750GM
CPU: AMD 3970X
Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
RAM: 4x32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4G
HD: Western Digital M.2 1 TB SN550

After carefully following the Taichi manual direction, upon turning on the power supply, the LEDs on the Taichi light up, pressing the power button on the board audibly clicks to tell the board to turn on (i.e. short pin 15 and 16 on the motherboard power connector), but nothing happens...no fans turn on, no lights on board flash other than the LEDs already on, etc. Everything remains cold to the touch.

I reduced the installed RAM to 2 modules (slots A2 and B2, as required for 2), and swapped among the 4 I have, unplugging the supply and clearing the CMOS in between each time. I reseated the CPU using the AMD provided torque wrench, and the CPU pins look fine.

The power supply (Gigabyte P750GM, 750 W) is likely fine. I removed the power supply, shorted pin 15-16 to have it power on, and then measuring the pin voltages with a voltmeter. All are correct.

I then backed up and removed everything, then reseated the motherboard in the chassis (to make sure there are no shorts), reseated the CPU again, and installed 2 RAM modules, and nothing else. Ran tests again, with no luck. I also swapped in a 550 W supply.

The motherboard appears to be DOA. In a bit of a hurry, and any help I can get is appreciated.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 5:38am
Are all the power connections on the board securely connected to the power supply? Looks like there are three, two of which are 8 pin.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Torchlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torchlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm
I ended up backing up and following the ASRock response to a similar problem someone posted in the Newegg reviews for the board. For convenience, here it is:

- Unplug the ATX power, remove all components from mainboard.
- Remove the mainboard from chassis, place it on mainboard?�box.
- Clear the CMOS.
- Reseat the CPU and heatsink fan.
- Plug the 24 + 8 (4+4) pins ATX power.
- Turn on the power to check if its fans are spin (sign of power).
- Turn off the power (unplug power cable).
- And then populate the parts (memory, VGA card) to post test if it power up.

Nothing earthshattering there, other than good, methodical troubleshooting. But somehow it worked. Best guess it was how the motherboard was placed in the chassis...perhaps a short, or the board was under a little strain it didn't like (I was VERY gentle when I did finally put it back in the chassis, successfully).

So while it's solved for now, and hopefully for good, I can't say I know why.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic