ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disabled guy needs help Asrock H170 Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock H170 Pro4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disabled guy needs help Asrock H170 Pro4
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 6:08am

New purchase Asrock H170 Pro4  Flashed new BIOS 1.90 Windows 10 Professional Clean Install on a Samsung 950 Pro 250gb M.2 device.
Serial number:59M0XE024231
Part number: 90-MXGZH0-A0UAYZ
Barcode: H170PRO4/A/ASRK
Original BIOS: 1.00 directly from the BIOS chip

The system is set at User Defaults
UEFI setup utility

The main problem: I seem to have lost mouse support. I.e. the mouse pointer does not move but it is visible (locked?).  However??br>If I use the disabled mouse keys in the accessibility options of Windows 10 it works just fine. But I need support for an old PS/2 mouse plugged into the mouse/keyboard port (I'm disabled).

I am under the Under Advanced Tab under USB. Perhaps I'm in the wrong BIOS area?

I am missing the port 60/64 emulation that was listed. Was this removed and the BIOS update to 1.90? (As shown in the owners manual for the motherboard/BIOS)
Unfortunately I need this option for a very old PS/2 mouse plugged into the keyboard/legacy mouse port small DIN connector. I'm disabled and I need a legacy support for this device. I used the mouse fine before the BIOS update and afterward. However, I seem to have lost this function and it is no longer present in my BIOS after making a simple BIOS change while updating the time/date. I know that this option was available in original BIOS .

The BIOS manual shows what you see below. However, my BIOS no longer list these functions.
I only have legacy support and Y.Cable setting.

Found under 4.4.6 chapter of the UEFI set up utility chapter. But now missing in my BIOS.
USB configuration.
Port 60/64 emulation
third-party USB 3.1 controller

Everything is unplugged from the back of the computer except for network and USB keyboard and of course mouse through the PS/2 input port. Is the 60/64 emulation missing or removed in the newer BIOS versions? Do I have a bad BIOS flash perhaps? The system seems to be working fine now other than the mouse problem.

If so, how can I flashback to the old BIOS 1.00 if I have to? I've tried BIOS 1.60 and I still have the same problem i.e. no mouse support through the PS/2/keyboard port.

Can anybody verify for me if they still have port 60/64 emulation present in BIOS 1.90?

I'm disabled and I really need to have that report back to make my old mouse function through the PS/2/keyboard port.

Unfortunately, I did not back up my BIOS when I first updated! If somebody has the old original BIOS version could they check to see if 60/64 emulation is present please?

The reason why I upgraded the BIOS was for the improved M.2 support.

Thank you for your help, Joseph

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 6:32am
Does the mouse still work in the UEFI? If so then it may be a windows issue after the update. 

To eliminate windows as the issue:

1. Run msconfig.exe
2. under the "boot" tab check safe mode
3. Apply and reboot

Once in safe mode run msconfig.exe again and uncheck safe mode then reboot again.

With windows 8 and above this re initializes all essential drivers including chipset, USB and SATA etc.

If that does not correct the issue let us know, it is ill advised to flash boards back to older BIOS versions as it can on occasion cause issues. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm
I don't own your board, so cannot help directly with hands on experience.

The Port 60/64 Emulation option was in the Advanced -> USB Configuration screen according to your board's manual. The notes for this option states, "Enable this option if you install Windows 7.".

All this may be related to the Intel 100 series chipsets USB and Windows 7 problem of no driver support from Intel. Meaning that is why that option was removed.

You are using Windows 10 now, but it seems that option existed after your change to Windows 10, is that right?

Some UEFI/BIOS updates to earlier versions can be safe, you aren't using an Intel 6 series chipset with the Ivy Bridge compatibility BIOS update insanity that gave BIOS updates a bad reputation.

Since you have already done a BIOS change to an earlier version and survived (you'd know if you didn't) IMO it is safe to do it again, but using Instant Flash ONLY!! Thumbs Up

There is a way to get to the download server for earlier BIOS versions, but of course that escapes me right now. Confused
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:52pm
Port 60/64 Emulation only affects the native Intel USB ports, not the PS/2 ports. So seeings you are using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, that dog don't hunt

I would suggest doing a long BIOS clearing. Not just simply using the Clear CMOS button.

Otherwise ........

Google Linkage - PS/2 to USB Adapter

Can be had at most any office supply, BestBuy, Frys, Walmart, etc etc. You might even have one laying around there and not given it a thought. They come with a lot of newer PS/2 mice right in the box, free.

Those won't necessarily work for more advanced multi function mice as most times the software provided to accommodate advanced function isn't "smart' enough to look to a USB port for recognition and handshake that says "Hi! I'm located here on a USB port instead of PS/2''

Along with standard and 3/4/5 button Roller ball mice it should work fine for. YMMV, but for the price it's another option.

Asrock H170 Pro4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock H170 Pro4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:36am
Thank you all very much for the tips and suggestions. Unfortunately the 60/64 option is no longer listed in my BIOS. Perhaps it was removed in version 1.9? I originally had it and used it to make the mouse work. After I upgraded the BIOS, it was no longer present which is why I thought I may have had a bad upgrade but the computer is working very well.

The good news is as I was able to find in one of my closets a serial port adapter which the mouse needs and plugged it into the COM1 port on the motherboard. So now all is working well!

Thank you all again for your suggestions, Joseph

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock H170 Pro4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:44am
No it didn't work under UEFI in the BIOS or in Windows 10. It did before I originally flashed to the latest BIOS. Perhaps Asrock removed 60/64 emulation because mine does not list it in BIOS revision 1.9 or 1.90.

All is well, thanks for your tips and suggestions! Xaltar??/div>

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:29pm
Dear Customers,
Greetings, this is ASRock Technical Support Department.

First, please be noted that we modified the name of "60/64 emulation" to "PS/2 Simulator" in later BIOS version.

Regarding your problem, please set 'PS2 Y-cable' to 'Auto' in BIOS to use the PS/2 mouse.
 (BIOS -> Advanced -> Super IO Configuration -> Set 'PS2 Y-cable' item to 'Auto'

If the problem still, please use another PS/2 mouse to verify, thank you!

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 14 Jan 2016 at 8:33pm
PainterArt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PainterArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 1:02am
I read this for another problem, but I just want to note you can use the A > B switch on your motherboard (if it has it) to go to your back up BIOS which is not flashed and should be the older bios. You can then copy that to your A BIOS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock H170 Pro4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 4:37am
Thanks for the tip. But my board does not have the dual BIOS chip setup unfortunately.
It would have been a nice clean solution but I wasn't thinking about it when I bought the motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joseph
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic