ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Safe way to update BIOS on ASRock P67Pro3 (B3) ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safe way to update BIOS on ASRock P67Pro3 (B3) ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safe way to update BIOS on ASRock P67Pro3 (B3) ?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:40pm
I apologize upfront that I'm asking a question that's likely been answered before.

Despite all the Googling, I went ahead and bought myself Windows 10, turned out that it wasn't a bad idea that I chose to install it alongside my Windows 7.

The problem is, I'm having a constant 100% CPU -usage under my Task Manager, despite no process really consuming anywhere near as much as that. The Resource Manager is reporting impossible values, such as 200 million percent and the like. Here's how it looks like: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/umypj3k74wx47fg/windows10cpu.mp4

The interesting part is, the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode; while it does happen on both normal and Selective Startup (with non-Microsoft services disabled.)

I've tried all kinds of things like sfc /scannow with absolutely no results, I even posted on the Microsoft forums: answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-100-cpu-usage-also-mathematically/39aa4c61-d13d-439f-910f-9996b59cc842

There's people who have mentioned that updating the BIOS version however has fixed this issue for them; unfortunately for me however, it hasn't helped there's also been people who have mentioned issues on Sandy Bridge CPUs after updating the BIOS version which have included, but have not been limited to, blue screens.

So long story short, I'd like to ask if there's a good, hopefully least risky way, to update my ASRock P67Pro3 (Intel B3 revision)'s motherboard version from v1.8 to say v3.3, while using Intel Core i5 2500K, without issues? I've read that skipping v3.1 along the way is not the way to go; and should be v1.8 -> v3.1 -> v3.3.

Again, I apologize for this post, but I'd truly be grateful for any answers one could provide. Thank you! :)
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:06am
I've now installed both the drivers. (AXTU v0.1.207.1 and Intel Management Engine v8.0.3.1427), so while I'm on Windows 7 x64 side, I should now be able to flash from BIOS v1.8 to BIOS v3.1 then to v3.3 right?

Should I take any precautions on the Windows 10 x64 side? Like its own IME v10.1.1.8 ?

I'm sorry about the bump, but I really wouldn't want to brick my board.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:28am
Teutep, sorry. I missed your original post.

Ok. IIRC, flashing to 3.10 FIRST is what you want to do.

And again, IIRC, the flashing procedure will be a two step process. Read and follow closely or you may hose your BIOS.

Meh, brb. I need to look at a couple things 1st. Your board IS the P67 Pro3, NOT the P67 Pro3 SE, correct?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 9:35am
In the BIOS, is there anything indicative of this Windows behavior displayed?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:59pm
DO NOT flash your BIOS yet.

Sloooooooow down and take a breath. I know you want a quick fix, but your's (BIOS update) is based on something that has too many variables to make it the right answer for everyone.

Check the date of the 3.30 BIOS. It is 10/15/2013.

Did Windows 10 exist in 2013? No. So how can a BIOS version that was released before Windows 10 existed fix a problem with it? Random chance by something unrelated is the only possible answer, and not something that I would ever think of using as a method of fixing a problem.

The lucky people that were able to fix their Win 10 issue with a BIOS update, used a version that fixed something related to Win 10 IMO. OTOH, I really don't know if that true. Did you ask anyone that fixed this issue with a BIOS update anything about its details?

Also, simply because some people were able to fix this issue (apparently) with a BIOS update does not mean that updating to a BIOS version that was released yesterday, last week, or in December, 2015 will fix the issue.

If you decide to go with the close your eyes and pray method, and hope an old, pre-Windows 10 BIOS version will fix this problem, you MUST apply BIOS version 3.10 FIRST. That is the transition version for Ivy Bridge support, which changes the IME Firmware that is part of the BIOS file. Versions beyond 3.10 do not update the IME firmware, but assume it was updated and expect (require) it to be there.

If the IME firmware update fails, that is what causes a bricked board. But the board being bricked is just caused by a non-functional IME firmware interface to the board and OS. So you could replace the BIOS chip and get your board working again.

I see now the only method of updating to 3.10 and beyond is the Windows executable file method. Censored Sick  When I clicked the link to the corresponding IME software, it was  404 page. Dead  Really doesn't matter, you would use the IME software in the Windows 10 download list.

I wonder what is really causing this problem, and if it really is causing 100% CPU usage, or is it just a case of bad data. The insane value you zoomed in on is obviously bad data. I really wish you had clicked the Performance tab in your video, and had a third party hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO or AIDA64 running at the same time.

If you were really at 100% CPU usage, you would not be able to move the mouse pointer as freely as you did, and have the multiple windows open and running. Not to mention the screen capture/video software you had running, IF that is what it was.
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:34pm
Sorry for the late responses,
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

-snip-
Meh, brb. I need to look at a couple things 1st. Your board IS the P67 Pro3, NOT the P67 Pro3 SE, correct?

Regular P67 Pro3, yup.

Probably not, I'm not seeing the odd CPU usage on Windows 7 x64 side. I'll make sure to check!
Already feels like apart from checking online threads I've not done my research properly.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

-snip-
I wonder what is really causing this problem, and if it really is causing 100% CPU usage, or is it just a case of bad data. The insane value you zoomed in on is obviously bad data. I really wish you had clicked the Performance tab in your video, and had a third party hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO or AIDA64 running at the same time.

If you were really at 100% CPU usage, you would not be able to move the mouse pointer as freely as you did, and have the multiple windows open and running. Not to mention the screen capture/video software you had running, IF that is what it was.

I could check the Performance tab and record it, and get HWiNFO to run on the background as you said. Sorry for not thinking of including it in the first place.

I agree, the Shadowplay recording shouldn't have been as smooth if the usage was really as high up there as it was trying to imply. Sadly the only thing I know about this issue is most people I came across with it are on Sandy Bridge -CPUs; have (somehow) gotten rid of with a BIOS update. That the issue doesn't persist in Safe Mode, but persists in Selective Startup with non-Microsoft programs disabled (implying something is disabled in between those two); as far as the silver lining with that little info goes: at least I know I'm not alone with this issue. Ouch

Edited by Teutep - 17 Jan 2016 at 4:39pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 4:43pm

I see now the only method of updating to 3.10 and beyond is the Windows executable file method. Censored Sick

The Windows only is why I stopped.

I asked about inside the BIOS goings on to check that it might be the clock crystal that is bad/defective as it would show there also. ie: wierdness
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:47pm
Second attempt at posting this (I timed out and my backup text wasn't up-to-date after all):

-snip- I really wish you had clicked the Performance tab in your video, and had a third party hardware monitoring program like HWiNFO or AIDA64 running at the same time.

To my surprise, something I hadn't witnessed before, I actually started getting odd framerate drops on my desktop once I opened up [Resource Manager > CPU]. Every other tab on Resource Manager works fine though! (Demonstrated in the video added for this post: runs fine at first on [Overview] -tab; the change happens at around 1:57)

I could've cut plenty, but I figured maybe I'll just keep the whole thing. Sorry that it's near 3 minutes, but I hope it shows what you wanted me to show. If it doesn't, shame on me and back to recording. Embarrassed

This time instead of filling up space on my Dropbox, I decided to upload it on YouTube as an unlisted video: https://youtu.be/p_OmYn92yng

Here's a still image:

Originally posted by Teutep Teutep wrote:

Probably not, I'm not seeing the odd CPU usage on Windows 7 x64 side. I'll make sure to check!
-snip-

Okay, so I hope I didn't do a poor job at this. If I did, tell me and I'll try my best to correct it!

As far as BIOS goes, the only thing that strikes me as odd is the CPU temperature. I'm getting around 37 celsius if I go by AXTU on Windows 7 x64 (this is where my CPU usage is normal too), but when I check the temperature in say, BIOS it's as high as 67.5 celsius implying it's not in idle.

I took screenshots, of course. I figured that just incase there's something in there that I could've missed, taking pictures of almost everything should cover most bases. (Please don't ask me why I'm on IDE instead of AHCI despite using SSD. Big smile)

MISC
Some other people who have (had) this issue (in the past):

Edited by Teutep - 17 Jan 2016 at 8:17pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:34pm
Hmmmm, stabbing in the semi-dark here.

I wonder if HPET and RTC are conflicting.

Disable RTC Alarm Power On in BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration, and recheck.

Here I only want to disable RTC Alarm Power On. Don't mess with HPET just yet please. Disable RTC Alarm Power On and report back.
Teutep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 11:43pm

Hmmmm, stabbing in the semi-dark here.

I wonder if HPET and RTC are conflicting.

Disable RTC Alarm Power On in BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration, and recheck.

Here I only want to disable RTC Alarm Power On. Don't mess with HPET just yet please. Disable RTC Alarm Power On and report back.

Thanks for the idea! Smile I disabled the RTC Alarm Power On, saved settings and booted to Windows 10.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make a difference to my CPU Usage. (Still reporting 100% on Task Manager, and something like 200 million percent on Resource Monitor.) Unhappy

Edited by Teutep - 17 Jan 2016 at 11:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic