ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 extreme 6 code b0 (or 60)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 extreme 6 code b0 (or 60)
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 8:39pm
x99 extreme 6 shows code b0 (or 60), I think it's b0 as the b has no top crossbar.

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E

tried G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-2800C15D-32GVR first, both sticks in all possible slot configurations - then 1 stick, same result. Removed and reinstalled the CPU and redid the memory shuffle with the same result. Returned the memory and got

GeIL 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Gaming Memory Model GPR432GB3000C15QC

Installed 4 stick (I thought that might have been the issue) - found that slots c and d are reversed from a and b... ok... (btw, I don't like the single latch, especially when having memory errors) and, yep, b0 again with 4 sticks (a1b1c1d1) and 1 stick (a1 or b1)

g.skill and geil both say the memory supports x99, what now? is the mb fubar?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:50am
So you get the B0 code no matter what config you install the RAM is what you are saying?

I would remove the CPU again and check for bent pins.

Also what do you mean slots c and d are reversed? the slot labeling goes ABDC? 
Or, the physical slots are inverted so that the "key" notch does not line up, meaning you have to rotate the RAM in those slots 180 degrees? 

I would hope it is not the latter as that would mean a manufacturing defect, the a1,b1,c1,d1 slots should all orient the same way with slots a2,b2,c2,d2 being the reverse.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:47am
b0 or 60 are both memory error codes. X99 chipset boards are finicky creatures. That's not an excuse, but given what I've read about other mobo manufacture's X99 boards, we are lucky to have an ASRock X99 board.

I have an X99 Extreme6 board, but the X99 Extreme6/3.1 version. Not much if at all different that I can see, except for different UEFI versions.

I know exactly what you mean about the labeling of the DIMM slots. Your description of it is correct.

They are configured as:  A1 A2  B1 B2   CPU   D2 D1  C2 C1

I'm NOT saying this configuration is wrong, but what is of significance is the location of the '1' slots and the '2' slots, as in A1 and A2 or C1 and C2.

This is from my board's manual about the use the DIMM slots:

Due to IntelĀ® CPU spec deinition, please install the memory modules on DDR4_A1, DDR4_B1, DDR4_C1 and DDR4_D1 for first priority.

I agree with the statement above, which I will elaborate on more below.

Unfortunately, when using two DIMMs as you are, their location is ambiguous given this information.

A non-intuitive bit of information from Intel about the order of use of the DIMM slots is this:

Populate the the DIMM slots that are the farthest from the processor first.

We might also ask if memory channels have a priority when we have four/quad channels on an X99 board. I have never seen any information that specifies a priority of channels. So channel priority is not a factor.

IMO, the main rules we need to follow are populating the DIMMs farthest from the processor first, and use the number 1 slot in each channel first.

Also, populating each of the available channels first takes priority over using both DIMM slots in each channel. This makes sense since having as many memory channels as possible in use will provide greater memory bandwidth than fewer channels.

So if you accept this information, then the layout of the DIMM slots on our board, and the information in the manual, we can figure out the optimal configuration when using two DIMMs.

Two DIMMs in a quad channel X99 board should be put in slots A1 and C1.

Very important, every time we move memory from one slot to another, we MUST clear the UEFI/BIOS! If you don't do this, you're on your own. Wink

When inserting memory in DDR4 boards, notice that the connection side of the DIMM is curved. When you insert a DIMM in a slot, check the edge of the DIMM slot, and the memory DIMM itself. The line the top of the DIMM slot makes is a great reference point to check if the DIMM is fully seated. You should see none of the DIMM's contact points above the DIMM slot, or if you do they should be ALL at the same distance above the top of the DIMM slot.

My DDR4 DIMMs have small gold dots along the DIMM's length, which I use as a reference to determine if the DIMM is fully seated. Each DIMM model may have its own markings, etc, that can be used to check for complete and proper insertion.

So, two DIMMs in slots A1 and C1. Clear the UEFI/BIOS after inserting the DIMMs. Verify the DIMMs are fully seated.

If you still have a problem, let us know. Good Luck!! Thumbs Up

Oz666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:20am
Thanks for the replies. I should also include the I am not new to builds, be they standard, high performance or server. This is, however, my first DDR4/x99 and it is for a customer, not myself - the customer naturally wants to know when it will be done and I have no spare cpus or ddr4 memory to substitute to eliminate the board or bios as an issue.
As to clearing the cmos - typically I turn off the ps, wait for the board leds to go out, give a two or three mississippi on the jumper, put it back to run and go. Is this sufficient for this board? I don't need to hit the bios switch and do it again - just the one I'm booting from, yes?

Oh, and a correction, the g.skill site says that the sticks I had were only checked out with z170 chipsets. It appears nearly all their faster dd4 memory is z170 only. The geil quad set I have now is checked on x99...
Oz666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 4:31am
tried a1 - c1, cleared cmos, no joy. on power on, shows 19 then changes to b0 in less than 2 seconds. do I need to go through all the possible permutations of 4 sticks and 8 slots?

Oz666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:54am
So now I am left with:
1 - the second lot of memory I purchased is defective
2 - the memory slots on the mb are defective
3 - the memory controller on the mb is defective
4 - the memory controller on the cpu is defective
5 - the bios is defective
6 - the new from box 750w ps is defective (this I can check)

(sigh) I already have 5-6 hours of bench time into this machine and haven't installed a drive or seen the bios screen.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Oz666 Oz666 wrote:

(sigh) I already have 5-6 hours of bench time into this machine and haven't installed a drive or seen the bios screen.

Ohhhhhoho don't rock the boat.

Today I assemble a board/cpu for a customer and 20mins into running the friggin' NEW(!) Corsair H105's pump goes belly up. Lovely, just lovely.

On to your problem.

If you or parsec knows if this is possible, use one stick of that GeIL in the appropriate slot and see if you can get her to at minimum just boot into the BIOS.

That G.Skill you have there is 16GB sticks and I'm thinking, since you haven't yet made it into the BIOS tp up-flash to the latest BIOS that those stand a good chance of not running until you up-flash. The X99 platform is relatively new(ish) and the board manufacturers have been pushing BIOS update out their doors to keep up with the still ever expanding influx of new and higher MHz memory.

Barring the GeIL not working beg borrow or steal some from a friend or maybe even one of your customers you're chummy with to try with.

But I'm left thinking that this is all BIOS and in turn memory compatibility related.

At the inside of PCIe3 and just above it lie your two BIOS chips. On them should be a sticker with the BIOS revision that ASRock sent them out their doors installed/flashed with. Assuming this board is New and not a refurb or second hand the numbers on the sticker(s) will be represent what your board is currently flashed to and running.

My guess is it's now considerably dated, the current BIOS rev. of the board as it is now.. Thus way way missing out on many memory compatibility related BIOS updates behind.
Oz666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
WarDog - luck to you, and me too - ha!

Today's plan was that - beg, borrow or buy a third round of memory of much lower speed/higher compatibility before I start to fantasize about using this project as a skeet target.

The g.skill has been returned and I have already tried 1 stick of the geil in A1. Modern memory slots are only spec'ed for somewhere in the range of 20-100 insert cycles (IIRC) before they no longer meet design tolerance so this is rapidly approaching the return point.

The manual suggests installation of a single stick as a memory debug but does not specify an install location nor does it specifically note one stick is supported at all. I seem to recall some mbs/chipsets in the hazy past that would not boot without sticks in pairs (or in sets of 9 for those with long experience) - can anyone verify this? (the single stick/x99, not dip memory)

Edited by Oz666 - 11 Jan 2016 at 8:40pm
Oz666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:10am
Success!

As posited by others, a bios update fixed the no boot issues I experienced. (1.90 -> 2.10) However, I did have to install slower memory to get a bootup so that a bios flash was possible. (2x8GB of adata 2133 was installed) the 4 x 8GB of geil potenza 3000 are now running at 3000 may try for 3200, only a 6.66% upclock... if anyone is interested - say so and I will post clocks, timings and temps after burn in amd a bit of tweaking

Thanks again for the help and suggestions - really bites that the faster memory wouldn't boot without the bios update that was needed to get the system to boot so that one could do a bios update. I have had similar issues before, but it's been a long time.

FYI, if you are flashing from a USB, use the port in the corner of the board by DDR4_C1, recognized immediately.

Now the work begins.

Edited by Oz666 - 12 Jan 2016 at 4:13am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:24am
Thumbs Up

That sure beats
Originally posted by Oz666 Oz666 wrote:

So now I am left with:
1 - the second lot of memory I purchased is defective
2 - the memory slots on the mb are defective
3 - the memory controller on the mb is defective
4 - the memory controller on the cpu is defective
5 - the bios is defective
6 - the new from box 750w ps is defective (this I can check)

Depending on when you might want to up the memory in that skeet target, there is a newly released Beta BIOS, L2.05 Dated Dec 3 2015, that again updates "Improve DRAM compatibility" !

Have fun and enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic