ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z490 Taichi Nvme ssd question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cdrbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z490 Taichi Nvme ssd question
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:00am
I have two Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2. My new ASRock Z490 Taichung board has M2_1 - M2_4. I also have two Samsung SSD?™s. Which M2 slots should I use for the NVMe M.2 SSD?™s?
Cdrbuck
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 3:46pm
Dear Cdrbuck,

Thanks for posting!

Regarding your question, kindly install the M.2 to 1st and 2nd M.2 slot.

Please be noted that when M2_2 is used, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 will be disabled.
When installing the SATA SSD, kindly install the different SATA ports that are not disabled.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
Cdrbuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cdrbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 12:36am
Perfect! Just one question, the M2-1 is the same slot as the M2-4. One connector is labeled M2-1 and is oriented to left side of the board. The other connector is labeled M2?? and is oriented in the opposite direction. The orientation on the board for the M2-1 connector is different from the M2-2 and the M2-3 connector. Does it matter if I use the M2-1 or M2-4, or should the orientation be the same for all the M2 SSD?™s?

Thanks again for the help.

Cdrbuck
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:33pm
Dear Cdrbuck,

The M.2_4 is a reserved slot for the future processor.

Kindly use the M.2_1/2/3 slots.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 01 Dec 2020 at 8:11pm
Cdrbuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cdrbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:52pm
Thanks, your answers are quick, short, to the point, and actually answer the question. PERFECT!!!

Regards,
Cdrbuck
ronr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
I have the same question but, on my board, the M2_1 slot is also on the left side of the board (rear) and the slot labelled M2_4 is on the right side (near the center of the board). M2_2 and M2_3 are also on the same side as M2_4. Exactly as they appear in the online and my printed manual.

If I orient my cards in the same direction, then I would be using M2_4 and M2_2; but the manual says to use M2_1 and M2_2. (Other than on the diagram, the manual does not even mention the M2_4 slot).

Are you certain the cards should be oriented the same way? If so, it would seem the manual and the printing on the MB are incorrect.
ron
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:13pm
Dear Ronr,

Thanks for pointing that out!

We have corrected the previous information that was sent to the @Cdrbuck.

M.2_4 slots are reserved for future processors, for those of whom are using M.2 x3, please install to M.2_1/2/3 slots.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 01 Dec 2020 at 8:25pm
scostigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scostigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:24am
I have a question about how to determine which nvme is which in the bios. The NVME sanitation tool does not specify which is which

I have two identical Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB and I can not determine which is what slot.

Any help.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic