ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skylake Users must read this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skylake Users must read this
    Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
This has already been questioned here in the forums, re: Prime95 throwing errors but system runs great, so I thought it best to post notice on all you Skylake Users

Skylake Bugs Aren't Odd, They're Prime (Posted Jan 11 2016)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-prime-number-bug,30979.html

A Short snippet blatantly heisted and then posted here from the above link:
Originally posted by Over at TomsHardware.com is Over at TomsHardware.com is wrote:

Intel discovered that its latest 6th Gen (Skylake) Core processors have a bug that can cause the system to freeze or crash when calculating prime numbers.

While testing Skylake processors with Prime95, a few testers observed that the system would on rare occasions freeze. The bug is not limited to Prime95; it may also affect compute-intensive programs such as scientific and financial applications. This problem affects all Skylake processors ranging from the low-end Core M up to the top-end Xeon CPUs.

Edited by Xaltar - 13 Jan 2016 at 1:54am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:09pm
This bug is caused by running AVX (NOT AVX2) instructions in Prime 95.

Takes at least a two hour run of Prime 95 to cause the bug to occur, which will freeze the Prime 95 run. You may literally need to force Prime 95 to run the AVX instructions by setting a flag in the Prime 95 option file. The flag and setting is: FMA3 = 0. I know, how is that related to AVX? You tell me...

The AVX instructions are apparently so rare or non-existent in most real world applications, that it is never noticed outside of running Prime 95.

There seems to be some question regarding whether or not this applies to all Skylake processors. The i7-6700K is known to be affected by this bug, but I did not see information about others.

Intel is not letting this slide by as an "errata" bug that they won't fix, which is a good thing. It's also a bug that can be fixed in a microcode update. Thumbs Up  So this is NOT a permanent bug in Skylake processors.

UEFI/BIOS fixes for this situation are pending from mother board manufactures, but apparently Intel has provided the new microcode to them now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic