ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riddle me this. B550M Pro4 won't post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riddle me this. B550M Pro4 won't post
    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 2:46am
Like I wrote earlier I have tried three different CPU's and they all resulted in the same error on the mobo. A 3100, a 3950x and a 4350G to see if an Apu might do the difference.

It is highly unlikely that all failed on the specific motherboard and work on the systems they were pulled from.

Keep in mind that all the items on the OP work just fine to date with an MSI B550 Pro - A

The memory isn't in the Asrock qvl list but it worked on first try and I have tested it with HyperX from the qvl, and still no dice.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 1:52am
When you took the board to your friends to test, did he try it with another CPU?
While a CPU randomly dying isn't common it is more common today than it was 10
years ago. When they do fail it is typically within a month of purchase, if they
survive a month they will usually run practically forever barring insane voltage
and overclocking.

IMO, board or CPU being behind the issue I would RMA the CPU, just to be on the
safe side. The most common fail point on CPUs is the IMC (memory controller) which
would explain your symptoms.
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

Just checking as I'm scratching my head over your issue .. so you tried booting without a keyboard or mouse plugged in?

I have tried both with and without. I have tried to boot without RAM still both light come on, even hooked up a speaker to check on post messages if any but none.

Also, it would stand to reason that if it's indeed a BIOS issue, then ASRock RMA services wouldn't have been able to boot the board up..?

That was what I was expecting when I send the board back to the shop where I bought it. But alas it booted up. At least the pictures they sent me showed a B550M Pro4 Motherboard BIOS (Attaching link from the picture they have sent me at the botom of this message)

You say it boots up when it's not at home .. maybe take your mobo and a PSU over to a buddy's house and see if it boots there?

Did that and it didn't. Leds come on right away exactly as in my house, even tried his ram and still no go

What was their "test" CPU? .. and are you obsoletely certain they booted up your board?

They used a 3100 as well and a random 8GB memory module as they said and no I cannot be certain but isn't it a bit far fetched to go into great length just to avoid a DOA?

Do you have a local PC shop you could have them test stuff out for you? .. then if it doesn't boot for them, you can add that info to your next RMA attempt

I don't no in my area, but I gave it to a friend who builds computers and worked on a repair shop to try and test it. No luck. It just won't post at all and the leds light up immediately.

If the shop hadn't send me those pictures of the motherboard booting up I think we would all agree that the motherboard is at fault and I guess it is. If they tricked me then ASRock will validate that the board is faulty if I RMA it. If they didn't trick me and somehow they managed to reseat the ram better than any of us that have tried before then I am at a loss since we really tried but I mean how difficult is it to reseat a RAM module. Keep in mind that the computer suddenly stooped while it was working fine which is another piece of the puzzle that I cannot explain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mst18qv4puc6qa/01.JPG?dl=0
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by kozywozy kozywozy wrote:

No peripherals
Just checking as I'm scratching my head over your issue .. so you tried booting without a keyboard or mouse plugged in?

Also, it would stand to reason that if it's indeed a BIOS issue, then ASRock RMA services wouldn't have been able to boot the board up..?

You say it boots up when it's not at home .. maybe take your mobo and a PSU over to a buddy's house and see if it boots there?

What was their "test" CPU? .. and are you obsoletely certain they booted up your board?

Do you have a local PC shop you could have them test stuff out for you? .. then if it doesn't boot for them, you can add that info to your next RMA attempt
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:11am
Have tried with 550w seasonic 80+ bronze, bequiet 1000 80+ platinum as well. It isn't the psu guys. It has to be a bios issue and I need a way to flash back. In the mean time it has been more than a week and no reply from Asrock about my RMA request.
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:22am
Originally posted by cereal cereal wrote:

Originally posted by MadScientist MadScientist wrote:

Could be the PSU. I would try a PSU with at least 650W.

450w PSU assuming it is close to it's true rated power would be more than enough

I watched the video and agree. In fact I am currently using a Seasonic 500W 80+ Gold rated modular PSU on my new build, Phantom Gaming 4 MB, ryzen 5 3600 CPU, EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 TI GPU. Works fine.

A good, at least a 80+ Bronze or Silver rated, 450W/500W, PSU from a reputable company like Seasonic, Corsair, or EVGA, would be ok for the OP's system, but he is currently using an OLD Thermaltake TR2 450W PSU. Does it even have an 8 pin 12V cable for the MB, how is it splitting the voltage/wattage on the rails?

The reason I suggested that if he is going to replace the TT TR2 with a new PSU to go with a slightly higher wattage PSU was if he decides later to upgrade to a newer higher wattage GPU and/or a higher wattage ryzen 5000 series CPU.

cereal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cereal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by MadScientist MadScientist wrote:

Could be the PSU. I would try a PSU with at least 650W.

a bunch of bs.
even moderately overclocked intel 10900 with 2080ti on full load won't draw more than 550w of power.

With OP set up it is probably around the 200w on full load

450w PSU assuming it is close to it's true rated power would be more than enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wtoCBahhM
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:52pm
Sorry for the late reply I was away for a bit.

I am glad that you have sorted your problems. Unfortunately mine were not. I have tried CPU's that I know that were working 2 different ones to be exact but nothing. I guess it is a bios problem and needs to be flshed back and then updated to a newer one instead of the 1.20. Unfortunately ASROCK doesn't have a bios flash back system so it is going back for RMA and see what they tell me. Will update once I get any sort of reply.
Skyline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 4:48pm
Hello again,

Let me share the root cause of this issue.

First, I doubted memory(G.skill) as I wrote in the last reply.
I bought it at famous PC parts shop, so brought whole PC in the shop and tested it.
G.skill memory worked well on the shop's test PC and other memory didn't worked for my PC.

I asked another shop to check my CPU(Ryzen 5 3600), and finally they found it was broken.
They sent me new CPU and now my PC successfully started again!
Skyline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:58am
Hello,

Now I have the same issue of yours.
I implemented new PC by myself and the specs are;

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600
Mobo: B550m Pro4
Memory: F4-3200C16D-16GIS by G.Skill 2x8GB
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB
PSU: Antec NeoECO Gold NE650G

I think we use the same combination of motherboard and memory.
As you wrote, The first 2 days were fine and suddenly blank monitor during playing game.
After that, CPU and DRAM LED are on and no post.
I also did everything I can do like CMOS clear, CPU/memory/GPU re-implementation, etc.

Currently I doubt the memory.
Would you tell me the result of your analysis and the current status of your machine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic