ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riddle me this. B550M Pro4 won't post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riddle me this. B550M Pro4 won't post
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm
I am at a loss and all my computer knowledge is put to the test with this issue so any suggestions from now on are kindly appreciated.

First of all specs

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
Mobo: B550m Pro4
Memory: F4-3200C16D-16GIS by G.Skill 2x8GB
GPU: MSI GT 720
SSD: Samsung 960 evo 256GB
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D9L
PSU: TR2 RX-450 (old I know but was working fine)

Build this system and everything run smoothly from the first go. No troubleshooting leds lighting up and posted just fine. Installed OS (WIN 10) no problem, configured some network stuff because I wanted it to be able to use remote desktop and wake on lan all good. Rebooted updated bios, set XMP and went to OS again all without a glitch. Downloaded A-Tuning and Ryzen Chipset drivers to control fans and set up ryzen power plan and then left the PC running. For two days all were good.

On the third I left the PC running and went on some errands only to come back to a blank monitor. The power led was on so I thought it went to sleep or something but after further inspection nothing was working. Pressed the button continuously for a hard shutdown, nothing. Opened the case and saw that two leds were lit. The DRAM and the CPU.

First thing I did swapped the PSU with another one I know it was working cause I am using it at my backup file server. It is old but I know it runs OK. I knew the other one was running OK too but just in case. Same behavior. Leds light up instantly no post.
Used third PSU from my main file server which runs flawlessly 24/7 No Post leds on

Cleared CMOS both jumpers and battery No Post leds on

took everything out to eliminate a short No Post leds on

Reseated ram to A1 B1 No Post leds on
Reseated single stick to all positions No Post leds on

Tried different stick from my main PC No Post leds on
Installed RAM on main PC worked on first boot and after a memtest 0 errors
Installed CPU and RAM on main PC, everything works and boots up fine

At this point I was sure it was a motherboard issue so I sent it back for a DOA. Two days later I got a response and images that the motherboard with their test CPU, RAM and GPU was running great. It posted and even booted into windows on first try.

At this point I am kind of at a WTF stage. I received the motherboard back, went to install all parts again and... No Post leds on

Tried my other CPU from main computer 3950X and also the GPU Quadro P2000 No Post leds on

Did the same with all three PSU's I have and No Post leds on

So I an now clueless and I have no idea what to do next, mind you returning the board is not an option since for some strange reason when it leaves the home it works.

No moving house is not an option and yes I did try it on different wall outlets that run on different circuit. Even powered it through my UPS but nothing.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:31pm
Ah, gremlins, oh how I don't miss dealing with them back when I used to do call out
work

Troubleshooting this kind of issue amounts to figuring out the answer to the
question of: What haven't I checked?

So we know the board checked out ok when you sent it back, we know the CPU and
RAM are good because you tested them in another system. What, if anything, from
the original, non functioning setup is still involved in your testing and I mean
anything. SATA cables, display cables, power cables, fans, add in cards,
network cables, front panel headers (disconnect them), front panel USB,
splitters, peripherals, flash drives. Rule out literally everything by using
a completely different setup. I have seen a system fail to post because of something
as silly as a bad front panel USB 3.0 cable. As soon as it was unplugged the
system came to life.

You clearly know what you are doing and have done a great job troubleshooting
so far so I have tried to suggest a few of the more easily overlooked options
to try out. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Nov 2020 at 4:32pm
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:09pm
Thank you for your reply and your suggestions unfortunately I have tried all those as well.

No peripherals, no sata, no headers, even no fans since the heatsink of the cooler is enough to cool this CPU passively on idle. Tried booting with m.2 and without still no luck. Reseated CPU just in case but still, no post and the leds are on. not even using a power button just shorting the headers.

Swapped vga cables for dvi, swapped all power cords from all three psu's nothing.

I have a speaker that I have connected to the headers and it doesn't make any sound and this is weird, (did swap orientations just in case I am placing it wrong) but my assumption is that the default setting on the motherboard is to have it disabled. I can't check it though.

So again I am at a loss.

I have a weird reasoning to my head, maybe this board needs a more powerfull PSU the max wattage I have tested is 550 but this is just crazy talk of a frustrated guy.
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
Could be the PSU. I would try a PSU with at least 650W.
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 10:31pm
I will, once I get my hands on one but it is
highly unlikely. I mean those specs could get
away with a much less powerful psu.
plus it did work for a while with no issues.
If it needed more it would from the beginning.
Skyline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:58am
Hello,

Now I have the same issue of yours.
I implemented new PC by myself and the specs are;

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600
Mobo: B550m Pro4
Memory: F4-3200C16D-16GIS by G.Skill 2x8GB
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB
PSU: Antec NeoECO Gold NE650G

I think we use the same combination of motherboard and memory.
As you wrote, The first 2 days were fine and suddenly blank monitor during playing game.
After that, CPU and DRAM LED are on and no post.
I also did everything I can do like CMOS clear, CPU/memory/GPU re-implementation, etc.

Currently I doubt the memory.
Would you tell me the result of your analysis and the current status of your machine?
Skyline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 4:48pm
Hello again,

Let me share the root cause of this issue.

First, I doubted memory(G.skill) as I wrote in the last reply.
I bought it at famous PC parts shop, so brought whole PC in the shop and tested it.
G.skill memory worked well on the shop's test PC and other memory didn't worked for my PC.

I asked another shop to check my CPU(Ryzen 5 3600), and finally they found it was broken.
They sent me new CPU and now my PC successfully started again!
kozywozy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kozywozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:52pm
Sorry for the late reply I was away for a bit.

I am glad that you have sorted your problems. Unfortunately mine were not. I have tried CPU's that I know that were working 2 different ones to be exact but nothing. I guess it is a bios problem and needs to be flshed back and then updated to a newer one instead of the 1.20. Unfortunately ASROCK doesn't have a bios flash back system so it is going back for RMA and see what they tell me. Will update once I get any sort of reply.
cereal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cereal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by MadScientist MadScientist wrote:

a bunch of bs.
even moderately overclocked intel 10900 with 2080ti on full load won't draw more than 550w of power.

With OP set up it is probably around the 200w on full load

450w PSU assuming it is close to it's true rated power would be more than enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wtoCBahhM
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:22am
Originally posted by cereal cereal wrote:

Originally posted by MadScientist MadScientist wrote:

450w PSU assuming it is close to it's true rated power would be more than enough

I watched the video and agree. In fact I am currently using a Seasonic 500W 80+ Gold rated modular PSU on my new build, Phantom Gaming 4 MB, ryzen 5 3600 CPU, EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 TI GPU. Works fine.

A good, at least a 80+ Bronze or Silver rated, 450W/500W, PSU from a reputable company like Seasonic, Corsair, or EVGA, would be ok for the OP's system, but he is currently using an OLD Thermaltake TR2 450W PSU. Does it even have an 8 pin 12V cable for the MB, how is it splitting the voltage/wattage on the rails?

The reason I suggested that if he is going to replace the TT TR2 with a new PSU to go with a slightly higher wattage PSU was if he decides later to upgrade to a newer higher wattage GPU and/or a higher wattage ryzen 5000 series CPU.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic