ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x470 Taichi memory issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtpavlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x470 Taichi memory issues
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:06am
Motherboard: Asrock X470 Taichi
CPU: Ryzen 2700x
RAM: 4x 8GB GSKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3200 (more info in pics)

It seems that windows is only recognizing half of my RAM and the rest is considered "Hardware reserved". If I have all 4 sticks installed, then only 16GB is usable. If I only use 2 sticks (A2 and B2), then only 8GB is usable.

My second issue is it seems that I cannot overclock the RAM frequency past 1866 MHz. I'm not sure if this is a limited by my motherboard/CPU or if I should be able to get up to 3200 MHz as the RAM suggests.

Here are some pictures that show some of my settings and problems:

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:48pm
remove all ram sticks
gently clean the brass finger contacts with a pencil eraser and then ideally isoprop alchohol
with no power at all to baord and bios battery removed spray isoprop in the ram slots and leave to totally dry out

you issue usually is 95% bad contacts from ram stick to slot
it could also be be much less likely you need to reseat your cpu (bad contact on some of the pins used by the ram)

the 1866 speed issue is strange for a few reasons
1) this is quite a rare 'jedec' default speed indicating very very early ddr4
2) a 2700x and tachi should make a good effort to run 3200 (even with 4 sticks,it should try all be it maybe unstable with the 4 sticks)

my advice cure the issue with 4 sticks not being fully used by windows in the first advice i gave you

then try to set the ram at 2666mhz >3000mhz >then 3200

allthough you will for sure need the latest bios you can use with a 2700x to have much hope of 3200mhz with four sticks of ram

EDIT
i have just noticed in the last screenshot the ram is actually jedec 2133mhz.......this is very strange to default to 1866 (meaning i cant understand why it even has instead of just not booting full stop)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
jtpavlock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtpavlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:55am
Just wanted to follow-up on this and say it was indeed a CPU issue. I finally got around to getting a new CPU and it fixed my problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic