ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Z77 Extreme 6 not boot from UEFI SM951

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qiangbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Z77 Extreme 6 not boot from UEFI SM951
    Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:42am
Hi

Need help on the Z77 Extreme 6  + PCIe to M.2 adapter + SM951
I have installed win 10 through UEFI USB to SM951, but not able to boot it from SM951 to finish the win 10 setup
any BIOS update required?
I am using the beta version P2.80E from the official Asrock site

thanks
JC-Logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-Logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 2:18am
I assume you read Parsec's lengthy post about how to install Windows onto an M.2  PCIe SSD.  I think it is here

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd

I just did one and it came up fine.  My mboard has 2.4 pre-installed.  If you followed the instructions carefully, I would suspect the 2.80 Beta. 

Not a lot of help, I know.
JC-Logger
Asrock H170 Pro4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asrock H170 Pro4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:11am
It sounds like it might be a boot order issue upon restarting Windows 10 upon installation. I clean installed Windows 10 from a USB thumb drive with no problems. I would check the boot order and make sure that you're getting the right drive i.e. Samsung 950 951 upon restarting. I'm using the 950 Pro on M.2 on the motherboard with no problems. Windows 10 has its own driver for M.2 and Samsung drives which is what I used initially. I'm using a different motherboard Asrock H170 Pro4 but the BIOS should be similar. If you're using an M2 adapter try reseating it.

One thing you might want to make sure that all of your other drives etc. hard disks CD and DVD drives are unplugged before you try to install Windows??
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by JC-Logger JC-Logger wrote:

I assume you read Parsec's lengthy post about how to install Windows onto an M.2  PCIe SSD.  I think it is here

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd

I just did one and it came up fine.  My mboard has 2.4 pre-installed.  If you followed the instructions carefully, I would suspect the 2.80 Beta. 

Not a lot of help, I know.

I'm glad my tutorial on using PCIe SSDs as boot drives helped you, apparently.

Yes your post is helpful. It tells me the 2.80 UEFI version is not necessary for the SM951. You are using UEFI 2.40, right? The AHCI SM951 and XP941 are the simplest of the PCIe SSDs to use as boot drives.

We don't know enough about the OP's UEFI configuration with the SM951 to conclude that the 2.80 UEFI is the problem.

The OP did not say which PCIe slot is being used. If the PCIE5 slot has the adapter card in it, that is a PCIe 2.0 slot whose lanes are provided by the Z77 chipset. That might cause a problem with the adapter, and will reduce the performance of a SM951, since the slot is PCIe 2.0 x4.

We don't know how the OP formatted the SM951, I usually allow the Windows installation program to do that in the Custom installation option.

We also do not know what the OP did with the CSM option. Was the Launch Storage OpROM policy option set to UEFI Only, with CSM Enabled, or was CSM Disabled?

The entry for the SM951, or any PCIe SSD (or standard SSD using the EFI boot loader), in the Boot order should be Windows Boot Manager.

The first board I ever installed Windows using the EFI boot loader is the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. That was in 2012. That was with standard SATA SSDs.

The same method I wrote about will work for SATA SSDs and AHCI PCIe SSDs (AHCI PCIe SSDs not in RAID), and with a small or no difference, NVMe SSDs.

An aside but related to this: When you purchase an NVMe PCIe 950 Pro SSD, the information included in the package tells you absolutely nothing about using it as an OS drive. It is interesting how mother board manufactures seem to inherit most of the responsibility of educating the users of these SSDs about using them as OS drives, as well as making it possible to USE them as OS drives. IMO, mother board manufactures have done a much better job of the latter than the former. But mother board manufactures have done so much more than the source of the 950 Pro, SM951, etc.
qiangbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qiangbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:54pm
Hi All

Thanks for the help!
I have read through this tutorial and tried again and again, 
but it is not working for me.

I can get into the win 10 setup through UEFI usb
and I can see that sm951 connected through a PCIE to M.2 adapter card
(only that is connected other HDD, SSD, CD/DVD all disconnected)
and I can setup(the copy over step) win 10 onto sm951 as GPT partition 
but after win10 setup finish copy over all the files and reboot
I can not get my Z77 Ext6 to boot from sm951 GPT and finish the win10 setup.
I just did not see that Windows Boot Loader, and nothing can boot from so alway get into BOIS screen.

After I connect other SSD and boot OS and checked that SM951 it has been partitioned and with an EFI partion...

So I guess Z77 Ext6 will not work with SM951....planning to buy new MB+CPU...

but thanks a lot for the helps & comments here!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic