ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q1900M + Crucial SSD no AHCI mode with Win 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rkattek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q1900M + Crucial SSD no AHCI mode with Win 10
    Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:13am
First.. I love this motherboard... It is fast and dead quiet!
Latest BIOS 1.60
Q1900M + Crucial CT120M500 SSD

I have a problem trying to enable AHCI mode with Windows 10

When I first installed Win 10 I had it set to IDE mode and have been trying to switch it to AHCI mode but have not had success.
Each time I try to enable AHCI, Win10 doesn't see the drive and gives a DRIVE NOT ACCESSIBLE error and I have to set it back to IDE mode.

I've tried a Samsung EVO SSD and a regular HDD and both worked in AHCI mode.

The SSD has the latest firmware.  

Is there a known problem with some SSD drives and enabling AHCI mode?

** updated info
I created the Win 10 USB install media to test the following: 
If I boot from the USB install media (with AHCI enabled) when I get to the install panel that lists the drives there is nothing listed.
I am able to install Win 7 x64 from install media with AHCI enabled.   In other words when I get to the install panel that asks which drive (it is the only drive) to install Win 7 on.. my SSD is listed.
But if I try the exact same thing with the Win 10 install media (created the USB install image) it doesn't list my SSD.
If I install Win 10 and use an HDD in AHCI mode it is listed in the drive panel.

It appears that Win 10 can't see my Crucial M500 SSD when AHCI is enabled. Cry
I'm not sure where the problem lies.   I'm leaning toward a compatibility issue with the Win 10 AHCI support when using the Crucial SSD but only because Win 7 install does see the SDD in AHCI mode.

At the moment I'm back to IDE mode but would love to take full advantage of the SSD.   Its why I replaced the previous HDD!

****Updated to add info from Crucial's website
I used http://www.crucial.com to list compatible SSDs for Q1900M and my M500 is not on the list. 
BUT the same site says that the M500 is considered legacy and that may explain why it wasn't listed.

Edited by Rkattek - 21 Jan 2016 at 4:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic