ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Pro 4 fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Pro 4 fan
    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:58am
The fan on my X570 Pro 4 motherboard has started making a lot of noise. It actually starts and stops when it first turns on, making a hideous noise. After about 15 seconds the fan runs quiet until I turn off the PC and it cools down for a while.

So I have a few questions

1. What is the fan model, specs, connection to find a replacement?

2. Can I remove the metal casing around the fan to access the fan? I don't see an easy way to remove the metal, are there some screws behind the motherboard?

3. What does this fan do? I assume disconnecting it would be bad, but what could be damaged?

4. The board is still under warranty. Would ASRock send me a new fan or would I need to RMA the whole board?

The fan in question is circled in the attached picture

muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm
I take it you are talking about the chipset fan (I'm at work, and work firewall blocks the photos). That metal should have some clips on other side of the motherboard to release the metal shroud. Keep in mind, that in theory that shroud works as a heatsink, and might have thermal pads for heat transfer.

Disconnecting the fan might not be a good idea, since AMD never bothered developing any power saving features for the chipset, thus the fan. Some say, that fan is not really needed, however, "some" are stupid :D
There is only one motherboard in the market without the fan, and it has been developed with that in mind.
What I do once in a while is take my vacuum cleaner aka hoover and bring it close to the metal shroud, fan picks up the air circulation and starts spinning very fast at counter rotation. In my not so scientific opinion, this action helps removing any gremlins in the fan :D as well as dust, since the speed the fan runs at when vacuum pipe is close to it is very very high.
Also, setting fan profile to not extreme might help with the noise.
I also have GPU in my second PCI-e slot, since every motherboard manufacturer kinda forgot that GPU heatsinks block that motherboard fan very easily.

Anyways, that chipset mainly governs PCI-e lanes and SATA traffic
folding@home
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
I would send a support ticket to ASRock and ask about the fan issue, if it is
covered under warranty etc:

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

shootz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by muziqaz muziqaz wrote:

I take it you are talking about the chipset fan (I'm at work, and work firewall blocks the photos). That metal should have some clips on other side of the motherboard to release the metal shroud. Keep in mind, that in theory that shroud works as a heatsink, and might have thermal pads for heat transfer.

Disconnecting the fan might not be a good idea, since AMD never bothered developing any power saving features for the chipset, thus the fan. Some say, that fan is not really needed, however, "some" are stupid :D
There is only one motherboard in the market without the fan, and it has been developed with that in mind.
What I do once in a while is take my vacuum cleaner aka hoover and bring it close to the metal shroud, fan picks up the air circulation and starts spinning very fast at counter rotation. In my not so scientific opinion, this action helps removing any gremlins in the fan :D as well as dust, since the speed the fan runs at when vacuum pipe is close to it is very very high.
Also, setting fan profile to not extreme might help with the noise.
I also have GPU in my second PCI-e slot, since every motherboard manufacturer kinda forgot that GPU heatsinks block that motherboard fan very easily.

Anyways, that chipset mainly governs PCI-e lanes and SATA traffic

Thank you for the info, yes that is the correct fan. I will give the vacuum trick a try. Setting the fan speeds in either BIOS or in A-Tuning doesn't help much since it only makes noise on startup. I will keep it connected but open a ticket with ASRock to see if they will replace it. (Hopefully before it gets noisy all the time.) Also good to know I can get to it if I need to replace it myself.

Cheers!
shootz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I would send a support ticket to ASRock and ask about the fan issue, if it is
covered under warranty etc:

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Thanks, I have opened a ticket. Now we wait...
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:11pm
If you are talking about short period of time when fan ramps up with this weird typical small fan vibration/whine, then it is normal for these tiny crapfans. It does that before the software governing fan speed kicks in. All the motherboards had issues with fan noise with very early BIOS versions. There was specific BIOS version released just to correct fan noise issue long time ago. I wouldn't worry if fan settles down after full boot up.
Doubt Asrock will do anything about it, in case of the miracle they respond to you.
folding@home
shootz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:45am
UPDATE: I received a new fan from ASRock. I replaced it and the fan is as quiet as when it was new.

If anyone has to replace this fan, you DO NOT need to remove the entire fan housing from the motherboard. In the attached image the green line shows the top plate of the housing. This plate is just glued on. I was able to pry it off with my fingernails. (Of course I removed the motherboard and unscrewed the whole housing before I realized this) Hope this saves someone the trouble I went through to replace the fan.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic