ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB 3.0 camera freezing Windows 7 64bit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB 3.0 camera freezing Windows 7 64bit
    Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 2:28am
I've got a 990FX Extreme3 that I've had for a few years. I just installed a USB3 microscope camera from ToupTek and when I plug the camera into the USB3 port and select it in their imaging software, the computer freezes instantly. I tried both USB3 ports.

I then plugged it into a USB2 port and it works fine, albeit at a much slower frame rate. Any known issues with USB3 ports or drivers or any suggestions on what to try next?

Edited by star_boy - 21 Jan 2016 at 2:29am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 5:09am
What eTron USB 3.0 driver version are you using?

119 is buggy as all heck and eTron pulled it from there server. 118 is stable here.

Get 118 from
http://www.etron.com/en/products/u3hc_detial.php?Product_ID=5

NOTE: DO NOT do an over-the-top driver install. It is imperative that you first completely uninstall your current installed driver, immediately after reboot, and only now install 118. Failing to follow this recommendation will most likely result in unstable eTron USB 3.0 drivers/ports/performance.

Post back your results.

star_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

What eTron USB 3.0 driver version are you using?

I'm actually using 1.0.0.115. I don't think it's been updated since I built the machine. I'm guessing 115 was buggy too?
star_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 8:09am

NOTE: DO NOT do an over-the-top driver install. It is imperative that you first completely uninstall your current installed driver, immediately after reboot, and only now install 118. Failing to follow this recommendation will most likely result in unstable eTron USB 3.0 drivers/ports/performance.

I just installed the ASRock App Shop (never new it existed). It looks like it's intended to be used to update drivers and such. Not sure how trustworthy it is.

Is it smart enough to uninstall the previous version of the eTron driver before installing the newest one?  And do you know if it will give me the choice of installing 118 instead of 119 or do you suggest I uninstall the original version myself and manually install 118?

Edited by star_boy - 21 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:48am
Perform what I said, and how I said, manually, using the link I provided to 118.

I'm surprised you haven't already. It isn't a tedious nor painful task to accomplish.

Will it solve your issue? Maybe, maybe not. BUT, you'll gain the knowledge that you have installed the latest driver that addresses any and all the fixes that eTron has gleaned up to this drivers release.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm
The eTron driver install is finicky and usually bangs things up when you do and over-the-top install of an existing driver.

Not counting the odd-ball USB device, when I post that suggestion it solves most peoples problems. Even if they have done an over-the-top install with 118, removal rebooting and a clean fresh install of 118 usually resolves any problems.

I don't remember if that was posted in one of the old motherboard d/l link to this driver or I read it on eTrons site. But I've followed that advice since and haven't had issue.

Now if I could get all those buggy 119 drivers removed from sites, cough, Station Drivers and the likes, then I would have accomplished something.

star_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:04am
I uninstalled the existing eTron driver and installed 118 in the manner you described.

Good news: The computer no longer freezes. I can run the ToupView program and select the camera and a black camera display window is shown.

Bad news: The display window stays black and every action within the program (selecting menus, changing camera resolution, etc.) takes literally minutes to perform and no image is ever displayed. With the camera plugged into the USB 2 port, the display window would normally be showing a real time image from the camera.

It is also impossible to close the ToupView program, even with an End Task. Only restarting the machine works.

So, I feel like we're moving in the right direction.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:23pm
Are you using the latest ToupCam software, dated 2015-01-23 07:38:37
http://www.touptek.com/download/showdownload.php?lang=en&id=2

Also by chance are you using Windows 10? I read there the program supports up to Windows 8.

If you are using Windows 10 I would highly suggest contacting ToupTek for further support. I'm in no way shunning you in saying that, instead I recognize this now as an issue they themselves, as the manufacturer, will have more knowledge on this than myself.

I'm just a User here like you and this microscope isn't an everyday occurrence that I run across one of them. Honestly, I don't have a clue from this point. Sorry.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:26pm
And believe me you, I don't like admitting defeat.

Yet I know when to bow out and this is one of those times. I know jack concerning this microscope and its software.
star_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:31pm

And believe me you, I don't like admitting defeat.

Yet I know when to bow out and this is one of those times. I know jack concerning this microscope and its software.

Fortunately, the microscope and very likely the software have little or nothing to do with the USB 3 port issues. I am running on Windows 7 64bit and have the latest 1/23 version of the viewing software. But other imaging software can be used and another one I've tried yielded the same result: virtually stalled image acquisition. In fact, it's behaving like the USB 3 bus is functioning but at an absolute minimum data rate.

Thanks anyway for your help so far. This forum is awesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic