ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't change RAM speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariomart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't change RAM speed
    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:57am
I have an ASROCK X570 Taichi motherboard and I'm trying to increase my RAM speed to what is advertised. I changed the XMP setting to XMP 2.0 Profile 1 and under DRAM frequency, it automatically changed to 3600, which is what I want. But when I saved and restarted, I see that under Main, the speed is still 2133. When I go to OC Tweaker, XMP 2.0 Profile 1 is still selected, but DRAM Frequency is still saying 2133, though to the right of it, it says 3600. Anyone know what I should do?
kariomart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariomart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 1:03am
I should also mention my BIOS is up to date, P3.80
kariomart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariomart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 1:25am
One other thing to mention, I'm using 128GB, 32GB in all 4 slots. It's Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:37pm
You have NO chance of running so much RAM on Desktop motherboard at these high speeds ever. XMP will never work for this board.
Your best bet is to set your RAM speed manually to something up to 3000Mhz And if lucky you will be able to run them at that speed.
Actually, you can try step by step climb the mhz ladder. Start from 2400Mhz, if it boots with 2400Mhz, increase to 2667Mhz, if that works, increase to 2933Mhz, if that works by a miracle, try 3000mhz, if miracle again, 3200Mhz. Until it stops booting with your set speed.
I can bet anything that Asrock, as well as other manufacturers never test their boards with so much RAM, and if they do, it runs at 2133Mhz and they are happy to write in their manual that they support so much of it.
32Gb on any Desktop motherboard is lottery at best, 128Gb is near impossibility
folding@home
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:40pm
P.S. If you look at their memory support list, you will see they only qualify up to 32GB of RAM :(
folding@home
kariomart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariomart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the help! I asked on reddit and someone told me to increase the DRAM voltage to 1.40, which would fix the issue. I don't know how much RAM they're using though. But you're saying no matter what, I couldn't get 128GB to run at 3600?
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by kariomart kariomart wrote:

Thanks for the help! I asked on reddit and someone told me to increase the DRAM voltage to 1.40, which would fix the issue. I don't know how much RAM they're using though. But you're saying no matter what, I couldn't get 128GB to run at 3600?

I would be extremely surprised if you managed to run your DIMMs at 3600Mhz, even at 1.4v.
1.4v will make your RAM more stable at 3000Mhz or lower. Also, keep in mind that you have 4 DIMMs so if you increase RAM voltage make sure you have adequate cooling for the sticks.
You have to prepare yourself mentally, that you will not see anything above 3000Mhz from your sticks. If you get 3000mhz or 3200Mhz by some miracle, consider that an achievement.
First try 1.35-1.36v up to 3000Mhz. See how that will work out. 1.4v might give a bit more headroom to tighten the timings, which are more important than speed itself.
I hope that those sticks were not sold as full set of 4x32GB, and you just bought 2 of 2x32GB, as I don't think there is even Intel system which would run all 128GB at its default rated speed.

I hope you have 5000 series CPU as well, as that has somewhat improved memory handling, even though mem controller is the same.
Also, there is new Agesa coming next month, which promises better mem compatibility and speeds, so maybe you will get more out of your RAM with new BIOS. But again, I would not expect 3600Mhz out of that RAM
folding@home
kariomart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariomart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:26pm
They actually were sold as a 128GB set that says it can run at 3600. I'm using a 5900x. I have 7 case fans total, 3 being part of an AIO. You think that'd be enough to safely run the voltage at 1.4v?

I tried running it at 3200 without changing voltage and every single program was crashing, even Explorer windows. I set it back to the default which is 2133 and it's working fine now. Is it just a process of trial and error to get the best speed or is there anything you think that'd definitely work?
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by kariomart kariomart wrote:

They actually were sold as a 128GB set that says it can run at 3600. I'm using a 5900x. I have 7 case fans total, 3 being part of an AIO. You think that'd be enough to safely run the voltage at 1.4v?

I tried running it at 3200 without changing voltage and every single program was crashing, even Explorer windows. I set it back to the default which is 2133 and it's working fine now. Is it just a process of trial and error to get the best speed or is there anything you think that'd definitely work?

Ok, if your system is booting with 3200Mhz into windows at correct (3200Mhz) speed, there is still hope (not for 3600Mhz though).

1.4v is safe for DDR4, that is not a worry, however, warning needs to be given when running at these voltages :) So that you are aware of possible issues. I run mine at 1.37v and temps are reasonably low, however I am only running 2x8GB ;)

At this given moment it is trial an error with your RAM. But at least system boots at 3200Mhz.
Try 3000Mhz, boot into windows, and try some memory intensive program. I use Aida64 stability test, and tick memory only, that way, all the ram is loaded and if its unstable you find out there and then. Or Memtest86 from USB drive, boot into it, and test the whole memory. With 128Gb RAM however Memtest86 will take couple of days to test :D
folding@home
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:36pm
P.S. best solution to cool he RAm is have one fan not far from RAM facing the sticks :)

And whoever sold you those as a set, are having a laugh :/ they probably have been qualified for that speed on one motherboard, most expensive one probably, the ones which cost nearly $1k
folding@home
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic