ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4S Ram OC problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
I wait until it tells me that pc failed to boot several times and i need to change settings. If I do nothing computer boots to windows using default speed (2400MHz)
I have a suspicion that this issue has something to do with subtimings. My guess is that some of the settings I leave on auto are set incorrectly.

Update:
If I manually set tREFI timing to 65535 (max allowed) i can boot at 2533MHz 1.4v while everything else is set to auto.

Edited by Soft Brick - 22 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:56pm
Ok, sounds like you will have to go through a painful exercise to find the best value for many sub-timings.
Sometimes a higher value is better and sometimes is the other way around.

Are your voltages similar to mine?

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
Soft Brick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 12:44am
At first it seems that I get bootable settings. Then I change something and pc no longer boots. I change settings back to what they were previously and pc also no longer boots. I tried various combinations of voltages. It's all very random and very frustrating. If only someone could pinpoint which timings to set.
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:15am
I've seen the same behaviour when trying to maximize my memory timings.
The memory controller can be a pain to deal with.

This is my approach
I always save UEFI changes to disk.
In case of failure to boot with known working settings I reset UEFI to default, save and exit, re-enter UEFI and load my saved settings. 
Save and exit and usually windows boots.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:50am
Here's a great tip to work with memory timings ang get around the no boot issue with known working settings.

Go to OC Tweaker\DRAM Configuration then scroll to the bottom and check the entry MRC Fast Boot, if enable set it to disabled!

Excellent explanation here
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18441754

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Soft Brick Soft Brick wrote:

At first it seems that I get bootable settings. Then I change something and pc no longer boots. I change settings back to what they were previously and pc also no longer boots. I tried various combinations of voltages. It's all very random and very frustrating. If only someone could pinpoint which timings to set.

Dead, dying, or defective CMOS battery?

Those button cells are produced by the millions so I wouldn't be surprised to learn a dead one got by. Worth a shot for a buck USD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:24am
I somehow managed to successufly boot at 2533MHz 1.2v, but only once. I have these settings saved to disk, but I am no longer able to boot using them.
Disabling MRC Fast Boot doesn't help. 
I've tried putting CMOS battery from my old MoBo, but it changed nothing.

Edited by Soft Brick - 23 Jan 2016 at 2:25am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Soft Brick Soft Brick wrote:

I've tried putting CMOS battery from my old MoBo, but it changed nothing.

Next time out, if you feel like spending $1.00 on this, buy a new battery, shut it down, clear the CMOS by battery removal and CLRCMOS jumper, then reverse and see how it goes.

I've seen strange things remain in early tries at replacing the battery but not jumpering to clear the CMOS.

Another you might try is remove power from wall, pull the CMOS battery, press the cases power button for 10secs or so, jumper to CLRCMOS, and let it sit this way overnight.

I jumped in here an hour ago when I "thought" I recognized you say what you did there looked reminiscent to me a battery/BIOS issue. ie: random settings stick, but not always.

Here posting just trying to help is all.
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:52am
LOL, we need to get Soft Brick to clock up that RAM, he cannot be so unlucky Smile

First try wardog suggestion with clrcmos 

Then set default SPD values, set voltages to a higher value, disable MRC Fast Boot, save and exit.
If booting normally re-enter UEFI set looser timings, save and exit
If booting normally re-enter UEFI set the next higher speed value, 2533MHz, save and exit
Hopefully it boots. Wait a long time before declaring a fail boot. With MRC disabled sometimes it double boots.

You might also want to try bios 2.70, for me the November bios is the one that gets me much higher RAM memory, up to 3400MHz, cannot reach the same value with any of the new bios. 
Of course 2.70 does not have SKY OC 
Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:45am
I've tried clrcmos after 3.00 update - no success.
I've just tried downgrading to 2.70, but it doesn't help too.
I sometimes can reach 2533MHz (if I use peroni's steps), but I'm yet to boot at 2666MHz.

Overclocking RAM is not something I can't live without. Some sources on the internet indicate that higher speed memory can improve FPS in cpu-heavy scenarios (not that my current GPU would let that to happen LOL). 
Reviews of this RAM kit show that you can easily reach 2666MHz even on lowered timings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic