ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4S Ram OC problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:14am
Overclocking any PC component is never guaranteed, you may simply be unlucky and have a kit that will not overclock very well. I have had budget DDR3 1600 kits that OCed to 2100 and high end DDR3 2400 kits that would not even reach 2500, it is the luck of the draw or "silicon lottery" as it is often referred to.

When I bought my Pentium G3258 every review I read on it said 4.8ghz was reachable but mine never let me past 4.4ghz. 
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:31am
Well my friend, I'm out of ideas. 
Don't give up though, somebody might come forward with other tips and of course you will want to try the overnight clear cmos suggested by wardog

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
Soft Brick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:57am
So i did some experimenting with my memory sticks individually in single-channel mode.
Both dimms booted successfully at 2800MHz, 1.3v, 15-15-15-36 using A2 slot. 
I'm certain that my memory is in excellent shape. 
I am not able to reach any overclock on B2 slot however. 
Is it "silicon lottery" on AsRock motherboards?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:01am
I don't remember if I've asked for this of you or not.

Fire up CPU-z and post screenies of both sticks Memory and SPD tabs please

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:04am
You mean dual-channel stock or single-channel overclocked?

Stock settings: http://i.imgur.com/iDLGReZ.png?1

Edited by Soft Brick - 23 Jan 2016 at 5:18am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Soft Brick Soft Brick wrote:

So i did some experimenting with my memory sticks individually in single-channel mode.
Both dimms booted successfully at 2800MHz, 1.3v, 15-15-15-36 using A2 slot. 
I'm certain that my memory is in excellent shape. 
I am not able to reach any overclock on B2 slot however. 
Is it "silicon lottery" on AsRock motherboards?

Overclocking in single channel isn't the same as dual channel overclocking but none the less, the B2 slot should overclock just as readily as A2 so that is a little odd. 

Unfortunately the system is running "as intended" at stock speeds so even if there is a problem with the B2 slot that prevents a decent OC it likely won't fall under warranty terms.

It may be worth reseating the CPU and checking for bent pins/poor contact.

Edited by Xaltar - 23 Jan 2016 at 6:43am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 6:54pm
Xaltar, is it actually possible that bent pins would cause such behavior? Especially since I can SkyOC my CPU to 4.51Ghz. Maybe I'm a victim of CPU warp? I use Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cooler, but it has springs on screws and I was already aware of this issue and extremely careful not to overtighten the screws.

I'm also not happy about AsRock's decision to put ram slot clips only on one side, inserting ram sticks is quite hard. Although I've gotten pretty good at this :D

I could try returning MoBo to my local shop that I bought it from, but it's a hassle and there are no guarantees.. so I guess I'll live with 2400MHz. Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by Soft Brick - 23 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 7:22pm

I use Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cooler, but it has springs on screws and I was already aware of this issue and extremely careful to to overtighten the screws.

Ha! You type as bad as I do. Tongue

"" I was already aware of this issue and extremely careful to to overtighten the screws. ""

I was already aware of this issue and extremely careful to not overtighten the screws.

I'm also not happy baout AsRock's decision to put ram slot clips only on one side, inserting ram sticks is quite hard. Although I've got pretty good at this :D

I'm undecided on these. I have them on my 990FX Professional.
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:31pm

I could try returning MoBo to my local shop that I bought it from, but it's a hassle and there are no guarantees.. so I guess I'll live with 2400MHz. Thanks for your help guys.

Just to confirm, out of 4 memory slots only A2 allows you to get anything more than 2400mhz on the RAM?
It is somewhat unlikely 3 out of 4 slots being faulty.
The memory controller is built in the CPU, could that be at fault? I'm just shooting on the dark here.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:37pm

Xaltar, is it actually possible that bent pins would cause such behavior? Especially since I can SkyOC my CPU to 4.51Ghz. Maybe I'm a victim of CPU warp? I use Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Yea, bent pins can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Too, while you do have the proc out, check that isn't doing any warping.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic