ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bios 2.50 with microcode fix for Extreme 7+ out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bios 2.50 with microcode fix for Extreme 7+ out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bios 2.50 with microcode fix for Extreme 7+ out
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 6:31pm
As title says, the new bios with Intel fix is out. Install was flawless. Thanks for the quick update Asrock.Clap

Edited by DooRules - 22 Jan 2016 at 6:31pm
squawker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 2:51am

Hi guys, i'm new here and also new to ASRock motherboards. 

My E7+ mobo had 1.70 UEFI/bios, and i updated first to 2.0, after to 2.10, 2.20 and finally to 2.50. 

With bios versions from 1.70 to 2.20, it took about 15s to boot, cold boot, that is, from power supply AC power off to W10 desktop. 

With bios 2.50, same conditions, it takes about 30s and always happens double boot. 

Is it OK, new microcode consequence?

Thanks and regards.

STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:41am
agreed.  the bios since beta 2.17 has gotten very good.  i have no issues getting 6700k to 4.5ghz anymore without touching vcore.  i am on 2.31 and will do this 2.50 now.

as far as the issue booting, please try setting "Windows Boot Manager" to top level boot priority in the bios.  I saw these issues also.  it seeks the USB or something strange through the bios post
STANKYLEG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANKYLEG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:13am
Squawker,

Try this.

look at my settings for boot at the top.

Disable everything except Windows Boot Manager

squawker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:59am

Hi Stankyleg,

Thanks for replying, youre right, in general, ASRock bios for E7+ are very good and stable.

What i observed regarding 2.50 is that there are some changes in fan management, and a few other itens besides Intel microcode update.

And cold boot (with AC power supply off before booting) now has double boot, what did not happen with all old bios i tried.

Not a big issue, because even with double boot, it takes only 28/30 s from power button to W10 desktop, and my old mobo (other maker) used to take about 35/40 s.

In a normal boot, that is, if we dont disconnect AC power from power supply, the boot is like the old bios (2.10, 2.20, etc) and it takes about only 15 s to W10 desktop.

My boot options are very similar to yours, with Boot Option #1 being Windows Boot Manager and i even dont have Boot Option #2, and CSM is disabled.

I suppose this behaviour (cold double boot) will be fixed in another bios update, lets see.

Regards,
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:18am
That double boot is attributable to your changing the BCLK.

At stock values it won't/doesn't behave that way.
squawker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:44am
This behaviour is a little weird because my CPU and DRAM configs are at stock, like you said, and with this exactly config, i did not had it with old bios versions.

Perhaps someone with E7+ mobo and 2.50 bios could confirm that. i'm new to ASRock mobos and will be seeing if i'm not doing something wrong.

Regards,
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 1:23pm
I use the same board, and using UEFI 2.31 Beta currently.

On the ASRock USA website, all the Beta UEFI versions are gone. Confused At least on Sunday night, 1/24/16.

The standard UEFI versions now goes from 2.10 to 2.50.

squawker, please describe what you mean by a double boot. Are you seeing the ASRock screen during POST twice? If you have a POST beep speaker connected to your board, do you hear the single POST Ok beep twice?

Notice that STANKYLEG is using the Ultra Fast boot option, which will reduce total start up time somewhat compared to Fast Boot being Disabled.

On the subject of slower booting, I've noticed (I think) on two different PCs with Windows 10, that the newer builds of Win 10 boot slower than earlier builds. That behavior is also erratic, meaning the cold boot time (cold boot means starting after a Windows shutdown, but without turning the PSU off) is occasionally faster.

The Win 10 build I have for installation on a USB flash drive, taken from a DVD, is 10240. I've updated through Windows update to build 10586 just recently on my Z170 EX7+. The full start up/cold boot time is much longer now, after the single POST beep.

The Win 10 boot screen and spinning dots are visible much longer on build 10586. With build 10240 the desktop was displayed within three seconds of the POST single beep. That is with Fast Boot Disabled in both Win 10 builds. Currently it takes at least 10 seconds after the POST beep for the desktop to be displayed. Nothing has changed with my hardware or UEFI version between build 10240 and 10586.

Is anyone else using Win 10 noticing the slower start up behavior with the different builds? I'm wondering if squawker is really noticing that instead of something with UEFI 2.50.

It seems with the newer Win 10 build that Windows is doing something before the desktop is displayed, that was not being done previously. Such as checking for new updates, or who knows what else. I thought I was confused about the longer startup time with Win 10, but now that I seem to see it on two different PCs, I don't think it's my imagination. Wacko
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Win 10 boot screen and spinning dots are visible much longer on build 10586. With build 10240 the desktop was displayed within three seconds of the POST single beep. That is with Fast Boot Disabled in both Win 10 builds. Currently it takes at least 10 seconds after the POST beep for the desktop to be displayed. Nothing has changed with my hardware or UEFI version between build 10240 and 10586.

Is anyone else using Win 10 noticing the slower start up behavior with the different builds? I'm wondering if squawker is really noticing that instead of something with UEFI 2.50.

It seems with the newer Win 10 build that Windows is doing something before the desktop is displayed, that was not being done previously. Such as checking for new updates, or who knows what else. I thought I was confused about the longer startup time with Win 10, but now that I seem to see it on two different PCs, I don't think it's my imagination. Wacko

Hello Parsec, Windows 10 boot up time is something that gives me headaches. 
On startup it writes/reads to/from a slow SATA mechanical drive I have connected merely for backup purposes. 
I noticed this because I could hear the typical HDD noise on boot up. There is no reason windows should be doing anything on this drive, I disabled everything including recycle bin on this unit.
Once I disconnect the drive, boom, windows boots up superfast (cannot compare to the old 10240 build, I installed 10586 directly)
The only workaround I found is to keep the drive disabled in device manager and only enable it when making a backup.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
squawker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:05am

Hi parsec,

Thanks for replying, well, i also noticed that Windows 10, build 10240, was somewhat faster than build 10586, and i always do a clean Windows 10 DVD installation, when there is a bootable ISO of the build.

But my observations regarding UEFI 2.50 were all made with 1511 version, build 10586.63, and with CPU and DRAM configurations in UEFI at default settings, as i'm getting accustomed to this board.

In my observation, UEFI 2.50 post behavior only is different from previous UEFIs that i tried (2.20, 2.10, 2.0 and 1.80), when previously the PSU is turned off (PSU AC power off).

In this condition, what happens maybe could be better called "triple attempt to boot", and it takes about 30 s to get to desktop:

1st attempt - Debug LED codes: 00 - 19 - motherboard shutdown

2nd attempt codes: 00 - 19 - board shutdown (again)

3rd attempt codes: 00 - 19 - 00 - 35 - .....- 97 - 99 - Ad - AA (O.S. desktop). Perhaps not exactly the codes, as they occur very fast. And i have a speaker connected to board, and only on this 3rd attempt there is a Post OK beep.

And yes, i observed that Stankyleg is using Ultra fast boot, and i changed this option from Disabled to Fast and to Ultra fast, without big differences.

As i've said, this happens only when PSU is turned off; after a Windows shutdown, without turning PSU off, UEFI 2.50 behaves exactly as previous UEFI's, providing a very fast boot, something as 15 s from case power button to W10 desktop! And Z170 EX7+ is the fastest board to boot I've ever had!

Same thing for shutdown time: about 2-3 s from desktop to board shutdown (it's really really fast)!!!

So, this is not a big issue to me, since i turn PSU off only a few times a day, but this board new behavior with UEFI 2.50 was what draw my attention to.

Anyway, I will be observing if someone after updating the bios to 2.50, can or cannot confirm  this.

Regards,
ASRock E7+|Intel 6700K|EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+|G.SKILL Trident Z F4-3400C16D-16GTZ|Samsung 950 PRO Raid0|Intel DC P3700|Corsair AX1200|Corsair H105|DELL U2412M|SteelSeries 6G V2|Razer DeathAdder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic