ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 with Dr. Debug 00 and boot loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md5sum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4 with Dr. Debug 00 and boot loop
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:31am
Hello all,

I build up a system with a i5-6600K and 16GB RAM from G.Skill (F4-2400C15D-16GNT) which should supported as mentioned in the Asrock

Unfortunately the system won't power up correctly. It powers up and runs for a 2-3 seconds then shuts down and powers back up again. The CPU fans doesn't spins! Dr. Debug is givin a 00 which is related to Problems with the CPU. I got no video signal either from graphic card or from the onboard card.

I tried also to change the two RAM bar to other slots from the channel. Also with only one RAM bar. The PSU delivers a maximum power of 500W which should be enough for the system set up! I cannot give any information about the bios version due to the lack that I never saw it on the screen. I also check the CPU pins! No pin is bent! This is also the second mainboard that I've test. With the first one from another manufacturer had also the same booting loop issue!

So my question now! Is this a problem which comes from the CPU or from the memory? What should be changed? The CPU or the memory?

Thanks and best regards

md5sum

Edited by md5sum - 23 Jan 2016 at 2:33am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:41am
First check that the CPU fan is plugged into the correct header AND that it is secure.

Second, the BIOS revision can be found on a white sticker that is affixed over the BIOS chip itself, found in the lower right corner, just above the A<>B BIOS switch.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:44am
Also, as it's a common oversight, have you connected the 8-pin power leading from the PSU to the 8-pin CPU Power socket in the upper left corner of the motherboard?
md5sum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md5sum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:08am
- CPU Fan is plugged correct! I've checked it!
- The 8 pin power is also connected correctly!
- The white label indicates that it's the 1.60 version installed. Any issues with this version?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:41am
Do any other fans you have in the PC case run when you try to start the PC?

There is nothing I recall about BIOS version 1.60 having a major issue that would stop the CPU from working.

If you used the same PSU with both boards, and both did not start, I would suspect the PSU first. The only way to really test if it is bad or not is to try another PSU with the PC.

Have you used this 500W PSU in the past? Is it new? What model is it?

If the CPU fan does not run at all, that would make me suspicious about the +12V supply from the PSU. That would also explain why the CPU does not work, it is not getting any power, apparently. If any other fans in that PC do not start, that would also indicate possibly no 12V power to the board.

md5sum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md5sum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:00pm

Those fans who are directly connected to the PSU spins for 2 seconds until the next loop begins. Only those who are connected with the mainboard - both CPU and other case fans - will not start. But I can see that they get power for milliseconds.

With the first board I saw that all fans works for 2 to 4 seconds before the next booting loop starts.

The PSU is the oldest part in my rig. It's a beQuiet E5 500 and were used in the past with two other set ups on AMD boards.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by md5sum md5sum wrote:

The PSU is the oldest part in my rig. It's a beQuiet E5 500 and were used in the past with two other set ups on AMD boards.

Why oh why does this occur here so many times? Folks, the PSU is THE most important part in your computer and yet seemingly the last part to be upgraded/addressed.

Borrow a PSU and re-test please. Or take it to a shop that may have a bench test PSU that they can hook up to test.
md5sum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md5sum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:52pm

OK, I ordered a new psu as well as new different memory (HX424C15FBK2/16, Fury Black) from which I know it should work with my set up! My colleague were successful with the same board, same cpu and same memory to get run his system! Let's see if I can find the root cause!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:55pm
Will it start when removed from the case and built up on top of the BARE box the MB came in?

Memory in slots A2 and B2 when you do the above also. Those two slots are recommended by ASRock.

Wasn't Amazon doing a Drone delivery trial in New York NY ??
md5sum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md5sum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:50am
And the solution is...the new PSU! Confused

Never thought that the PSU could have a failure! It worked in the past very reliable in the old system!

Thanks for the great support here!

BTW: I like this Dr. Debug visualization tool! Clap It was really helpfull

Edited by md5sum - 27 Jan 2016 at 1:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic