ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/ac Temps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlackerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/ac Temps
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:42am
Hello,

I was curious if anyone else is running an i7-6700K (non-OC) with the Fatal1ty Z170 ITX/ac and maybe using the Corsair H100i GTX cooler? 

My CPU Temp in BIOS is 45c, but in Windows 8.1 x64 the Corsair Link software is reporting a temp is 17-19c (idle) for my i7-6700K. This is below my ambient temp of 22c. The Corsair Link software does show my Motherboard CPU as 21-22c, but I am not sure which of these two temps I should be concerned with.

I thought it might be an issue with the Corsair Link software, but I tried several other monitoring apps and they all show the 17-19c average temp.

I've tried swapping out the CPU just in case it had a bad sensor, but it didn't help. Now I am wondering if it is a bad sensor on the motherboard. 

Does anyone else run a similar setup? If so, what are your temps in idle with no OC?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 7:01am
When in BIOS the CPU is under a small but constant load that produces a higher temp than you would see at idle in OS. This seems to be the case on most systems these days, including my i5 6600k at stock with air cooling. In BIOS I read 42c and in OS I read 15c-21c (depending on ambient) at idle.
SlackerKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlackerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 8:45am
It just seems odd that I'd have a idle temp below ambient. At least based on searches I have done.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 8:58am
I bet the sensor is just not calibrated to show low temperatures that reliably.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlackerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:22am
Hmm, is there a way to calibrate it? Or am I just gonna have to live with it?

I was thinking about taking the motherboard and getting a replacement, but there's no guarantee it won't have the same issue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:36am
No, probably not. Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it an issue. Low CPU temperatures aren't really important or interesting, the important thing is that the sensor shows the correct temperature when the CPU is under load and running hot. Since swapping out the CPU didn't help and since Xaltar has seen similar temperatures with another Intel chip (the sensors are likely very similar, if not the same), I wouldn't worry.

Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlackerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:39am
Ok, thanks.

I know when I OC'd to 4.6 GHz I ran a stress test for 20 minutes and the temp never broke 65c, so maybe everything will be ok. :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:12pm
The CPU temperature readings come from the CPU itself, although they are passed through at least one chip on the board. There is nothing that we can calibrate or fix for any of the components that provide temperature data.

A program can read the CPU temperature data directly from the CPU or other device (HDD, SSD, video card) as long as the temperature data is available and it is known how to read the data. That data is not a real temperature reading that we would get from an analog thermometer. It must be translated with a defined method into a temperature value.

I've seen sub-ambient core temperatures on Intel processors since the Sandy Bridge generation. I've also seen sub-ambient temperatures from SSDs. This happens only in the winter when the house is at its coolest. The processor will have all the power saving options enabled, particularly C States, C6 and C7 (C7 for Haswell and Skylake only.) Those C states literally remove power from a core.

My theory about this is certain materials like metal seem to retain less heat energy than other materials. Liquids like water can also have this affect. Actually these materials are absorbing heat from other objects much more quickly and to a greater degree than others, and create the affect that they are cooler. Have you ever touched metal that seemed cooler than wood or plastic that is right next to it?

Imagine a large metal heat sink, or one that contains liquid like an AIO cooler the OP is using. These devices are designed to absorb heat that is then absorbed by cooler air or water. The heat sink will remove heat from the CPU faster than it is being created in the CPU. If it didn't, the heat sink would not do its job.

If heat is being absorbed away from an object (with a temperature sensor) faster than heat is being created or absorbed into the object, won't that object be cooler than its surroundings?

Consider what ambient temperature is. It is the temperature of the air surrounding a thermometer or other temperature measuring device located somewhere in a defined space.

IMO, the notion that every object in a space (room) is at the same temperature as the air in a room at all times is false. We take for granted that every object in a room is the same temperature as the "room temperature". Get an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of any object or surface in a room, they can be quite different.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

My theory about this is certain materials like metal seem to retain less heat energy than other materials. Liquids like water can also have this affect. Actually these materials are absorbing heat from other objects much more quickly and to a greater degree than others, and create the affect that they are cooler. Have you ever touched metal that seemed cooler than wood or plastic that is right next to it?

It's not just your theory, it's basic physics: Different materials have different heat capacities and thermal conductivities. A high heat capacity means that the material can store large amounts of heat energy, which in turn means that in order to change the material's temperature by e.g. 1 C, you need more heat energy than you would with a material that has a low heat capacity. A material with a high thermal conductivity will be able to either absorb or donate thermal energy more quickly than a material with a low thermal conductivity.

In the example you give above and assuming we're talking about objects that have been in the same ambient temperature for enough time, the actual temperature of those objects will be exactly the same. The reason some materials feel cooler than others is because of the differences in heat capacities and thermal conductivies. Some materials will absorb heat as fast as your skin can donate it, and need a lot of it to warm up, which can cool your hand's temperature quite efficiently. On the other hand some materials will absorb heat slowly, allowing your bloodcirculation to better keep up with the heat transfer and leading to your hand being cooled less, even if you need to hold on for longer to make the object body temperature. Note that what you are actually sensing is not the temperature of the object you're grabbing, it's the temperature change of your hand. Regardless of how fast heat is transferred from one object to another, the lower and higher temperature limits (ambient and body temperature, respectively) in this example are the same for all materials.

Quote Imagine a large metal heat sink, or one that contains liquid like an AIO cooler the OP is using. These devices are designed to absorb heat that is then absorbed by cooler air or water. The heat sink will remove heat from the CPU faster than it is being created in the CPU. If it didn't, the heat sink would not do its job.

If heat is being absorbed away from an object (with a temperature sensor) faster than heat is being created or absorbed into the object, won't that object be cooler than its surroundings?

Depends on what you cool it with. If you use ambient air to cool the CPU, then ambient temperature is the lower limit to the CPUs temperature. If you use a liquid cooler where the liquid is only cooled using ambient air - meaning the liquid is just an efficient way of transporting heat from the CPU to the radiator - then the lower limit is again the ambient temperature. This is because heat only flows one way, from higher temperature to lower, and once the CPU reaches the temperature of whatever is used to cool it, heat will no longer be transferred from it (on a macroscopic scale) no matter how efficient the cooling system is. Furthermore, since having the computer on at all makes the CPU a heat source, it should in practice always be slightly above room temperature if ambient cooling is used, since no CPU cooling is ideal. Sub-ambient CPU temperatures can only be achieved if you have sub-ambient cooling.

Quote IMO, the notion that every object in a space (room) is at the same temperature as the air in a room at all times is false. We take for granted that every object in a room is the same temperature as the "room temperature". Get an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of any object or surface in a room, they can be quite different.

This is true, but mostly because the air temperature in the room is not homogeneous and there are often both heat sinks and sources in a room: Windows, electronics, draft coming for other rooms etc. all of which affect both how air is circulated in a room and what sort of temperature gradients there are. But while you might see a difference in temperatures when you compare a plant on a window sill or the remote next to your stereo amplifier, it's not really a bad approximation to assume objects to be "room temperature". Unless the room is very drafty and has large temperature gradients (such as sub-zero temperature air flowing in through windows), one shouldn't see 15 C CPU temperatures if the "room temperature" is 20 C.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlackerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:45am
I replaced my motherboard and H100i GTX and the temps look a little better, but the i7-6700K Temp (idle) is still showing 2-3c lower than ambient (22.8c). The Motherboard CPU Temp (idle) is slightly above ambient.

Since everything has been replaced and giving similar temps I feel that everything must be ok hardware-wise.

My 4.6 GHz OC stress temp temps are pushing around 71-73c after 40 minutes, whereas before I got them down to 65c, but that could have been due to the main temp discrepancy issue I was having trouble resolving.

For the above I have the pump and fans in quiet mode. I could bump the fan up to balanced mode and get the temps down a little more, but it gets a little noisy.

Is a 4.6 GHz OC 40 minute stress test temp of 71-73c ok?

Edited by SlackerKing - 24 Jan 2016 at 4:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic