ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi
    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:30pm
Had some issues in the past...but system working fine for the last couple of months, tho at 2133 Ram speed.

That issue prompted me to look elsewhere and I bought an R9 3900X also a B450 Steel Legend motherboard and some new 3600 ram - all working great.

Decided to move on the Threadripper combo...plugged in a GTX 1080Ti to get some benchmarks and once the power was restored even before the start button could be pushed [although it did not illuminate] the LEDs around the chipset heatsink started to flash...randomly and at a fairly fast rate...

Tried unplugging all power leads to the Taichi, removed the CMOS battery, pushed the CMOS Clr switch on the bottom of the motherboard and also pushed in the CMOS Clr button on the I/O. Left it in that state for 30 minutes.

Put the CMOS battery back in, fitted the video card, then held the motherboard CMOS Clr button down whilst all the motherboard power plugs were fitted [1 x 24 - 1 x 8 & 1 x 4 - PSU still unplugged]. Then whilst still pushing the CMOS Clr button I fitted the power lead to the PSU and then turned it on...immediately the rapid flashing began again. Left it like that for over 390 minutes again...and no change; unable to turn it on. PSU verified as working correctly...

Here is a link to a video I took of the system from rest; turning on the PSU...and FLICKERING...FAST!!

Next thing I will try is only 1 ram stick in A2 and a basic video card; after another CMOS reset...but really concerned that the motherboard is R/S!
ibace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:32pm
Guess I should've also listed; 2950X CPU and 4 x 16 Ripjaws 3600 ram...
ibace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 9:17am
Whoops! I see now that I never inserted the link to the video...so here is a link to a folder on my onedrive; it contains 2 videos [#1 shutting down the system with GTX 1080 working and #2 turning on the system fitted with a GTX 1080Ti and the flickering issue] Also included are screenshots that show the benchmark results when using the GTX 1080

Link; https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoieL9EzgvZyjASCebX5v_2yeC7n?e=1uu45E

As I am new to this Forum; is there a way to find one's own posts? Also...is it possible to simply edit a post that I have submitted? [as in this case where I forgot to put the link...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 12:31am
It looks like a warning indicator of some kind, unless the RGB was set to strobe
for some reason. I would double check your power connections and make sure there
is nothing shorting under the board anywhere.
ibace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 8:43am
The board is not set up in a case; it is sitting on a cardboard motherboard box...so no chance of any shorts...PSU and GPU all working correctly with other hardware...seems it has to be a motherboard issue. System was left unplugged and CMOS battery removed for 30 hours; the second all was plugged in, and the PSU switch turned to "On" the rapid flickering started, even before the Pwr button could be pushed...also none of the normal LEDs [Pwr and Reset buttons] illuminated as usual...and all this is shown in the video I linked to...and it seems impossible to get a response from Asrock Technical Support...whether through their web portal or entering info on their Facebook page....REALLY POOR EFFORT on their behalf!!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:52pm
Have you tried reseating the CPU? When I put my Threadripper system together it
took a few tries to get it to seat properly.
ibace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 1:52am
No have not tried reseating the CPU; I understand they can be difficult to install and the locking mechanism is even worse...but this combo was working for 3 months or so, removed in one unit still with the Noctua NH-14 TR installed. Hell it still had the 32GB of 3200 Vengeance ram that I was using installed. When I decided I was going to sell it...I ran a series of benchmarks with a GTX 1080 installed. Turned it off removed the 1080 and fitted a 1080Ti, went to turn it on and....flickering RGBs.

Have you managed to view the linked video? It really shows what the problem is...and I have no idea of a fix; except RMAd to Asrock or binned!

And the letter option holds no appeal to me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic