FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X570 Taichi RAM issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X570 Taichi RAM issues
    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Keep us posted :)
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Today I tried something else, I removed the RAM sticks left only one on A2, removed the GTX980ti setup an GT710 card, put the 5950X in the X570 and updated the BIOS to 4.00.

All worked, the PC didn't get stuck on a boot loop any more...

The worst part is that if I put a stick of RAM in B2, the PC doesn't start and I get the 0d error pops up on the debug. If I change only the CPU, all works...

So BIOS settings and other related stuff I don't think that they apply as both CPUs use the same settings, one works one not.

For the moment I moved the 5950X on the X470 and next week I will buy another X570 from a different manufacturer to see if the problem is with my 5950X and any X570 or only with this MB...
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 3:40am
OK, I'm grasping at straws here, as I ran out of explanations and ideas :D
Put all the sticks in into x570 and 5950x. Boot into BIOS, set the XMP profile. Make sure VDIMM is set to whatever your RAM needs to have (usually 1.35V+). Save BIOS settings and restart into BIOS again. Check if a miracle happened and you see all the sticks (as I said, I'm grasping at straws :D ).
If nothing changes and you still cannot see all the ram, get yourself Memtest86+ put it on USB drive, boot from it, and see how many sticks and how much ram the program sees.
Also, check the amount in Linux (you said you have it installed as well).
In windows, click Start and type MS Config, and press enter. Go to Boot tab, and click on Advanced Options...
Tick Maximum memory and see if it writes 32768, or something like that. If yes, click OK, and OK again, and restart the PC in to Windows again. See if a miracle happened and Windows sees all the ram :D
Now for the final straw:
Use Flashback feature to flash the BIOS to oldest BIOS version which could support 5000 series CPUs, which is 3.40 on taichi.
Then, using USB 2 ports at the back start updating BIOS one by one till you get to the latest (miracle), or PC starts rebooting as before. I know you probably already done this, but I'm looking into exact sequence of the procedure. Use Flashback to get older version, and use normal Instant Flash from USB drive connected to USB port (non blue).
Because you will be flashing back to 5000 series supported BIOS, you won't need to remove 5950x.
If all of that fails and does not bring any progress, best advice would be to RMA the CPU (just because it will be much faster than Asrock RMA of the motherboard). OR if you do not need PCIe 4, just use x470 Taichi :)
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 2:07am
I thought that too, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Today I had a little time so I did some test to rule out any possibility of faulty hardware.

TEST 1

CPU: Ryzen 5950X
MB: X570 Taichi
RAM: A2 Slot & B2 Slot - 8GB GSKill FlareX DDR4@3200Mhz CL14

Result: B2 slot shows empty

[URL=https://ibb.co/ZXy3407]FULL SIZE IMAGE HERE[/URL]

TEST 2

CPU: Ryzen 2700X
MB: X570 Taichi
RAM: A2 Slot & B2 Slot - 8GB GSKill FlareX DDR4@3200Mhz CL14

Result: Both slots work fine, 16GB RAM shown in BIOS

[URL=https://ibb.co/k5gTvgX]FULL SIZE IMAGE HERE[/URL]

TEST 3

CPU: Ryzen 5950X
MB: X470 Taichi
RAM: A1,A2,B1,B2 Slots - 8GB GSKill FlareX DDR4@3200Mhz CL14

Result: All works fine 32GB shown in BIOS

[URL=https://ibb.co/30yBkFy]FULL SIZE IMAGE HERE[/URL]

Both channels work fine on the X570 - tested with the 2700X
The 5950X work fine with all 4 RAM sticks - tested on the X470 Taichi

Why on earth doesn't the 5950X work with channel B RAM on the X570
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:40pm
Maybe CPU is faulty :/
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by muziqaz muziqaz wrote:

Does windows Task Manager reports them as hardware reserved?

I can't tell because I am using Linux now, I'll check later.

The most intriguing thing is that with the 2700X it booted with de 4.00 BIOS and it saw all 4 RAM in the BIOS.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:18pm
also have a skim through this thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18010&PN=1&title=asrock-taichi-x570-issues

It might have some suggestions to try ;)
folding@home
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:14pm
Does windows Task Manager reports them as hardware reserved?
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm
3.61 works fine, 3.80 gives the 0d error.

I've tried switching all memories on the A1 A2 slots they work. I put the in my old rig with the X470 Taichi, I get 32GB RAM, they all work in BIOS, all 4 slots.

In Windows task manager I get 16GB only. In CPU-Z I can see all 4 slots/channels, I can navigate to all of them.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:04pm
ok, I had 0d once as well. It was USB3 cable for case's front panel not plugged in correctly and fully. Also, Asrock has the most basic error codes in existence. I mean, memory nsho9uld have it's own code, VGA as well, and I'm not even talking about helpfulness of "other devices". It's like me turning around and saying: Some of the parts of your PC are not working...

So 3.61 works without rebooting with 5950x? Just you can't see half of the RAM?
What does windows task manager says about the amount of RAM in the system, does it say that half of it is hardware reserved?
Also, how many channels does CPU Z Memory section reports?
Stay on 3.61 version for a minute, reseat the memory sticks, if they still don't work all together, try them one by one in A2 slot. Maybe run short memory test with each RAM stick in
folding@home
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic