ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X570 Taichi RAM issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X570 Taichi RAM issues
    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
Hello all,

I've recently bought a ASRock X570 Taichi and a AMD Ryzen 5950X to upgrade my previous setup an ASRock X470 Taichi & AMD Ryzen 2700X.

The RAM I used the ones I had before, 4x GSkill FlareX for AMD DDR4 @3200MHZ

When I tried to boot up the new rig it kept restarting. After reading a bit, the problem was the BIOS version, that it didn't support the CPU.

Put the 2700X in the rig, booted up. Updated the BIOS to 4.0 (via FlashBack), booted up with the 2700X, with the 5950X kept restarting.

I've downgraded the BIOS to 3.40 (via FlashBack) and the rig booted up with the 5950X as well.

The problem that I have now, it's that my PC recognizes only the RAM installed in the A1 and A2 slots and the ones from B1 and B2 not. Tried to switch them between them and nothing changed.

Should I update the BIOS to another version? Which version should be ok for the CPU as well?

Is there something else that I should look at?
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:54pm
Moreover, after taking a look over the info in Windows, through CPU-Z and NZXT CAM, it seems that the motherboard is aware of all 4 RAM sticks but somehow the don't work

cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:54pm
https://ibb.co/dL23Fzk
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:56pm
Flashback should only be used if you have no supporting CPU to be able to use Instant Flash utility in BIOS.
Flashback feature can flash to older BIOS even without CPUs or other things installed.
You can now flash newer BIOS version one by one until you reach the latest version. Do not use Flashback for that. Use normal BIOS methods. Don't forget to reset the BIOS to default after each flash
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 10:32pm
Hi muziqaz, thanks for the reply

I used flashback to flash 4.0 because that's what I understood from the BIOS support page on ASRock site

*If you use Pinnacle Ridge or Picasso, please use ASRock Flashback function to update this BIOS.

I had the 2700X at that time so being Pinnacle Ridge that's why I flash it.

Then I removed the 2700X, put the 5950X and it didn't start, so I flashed with flashBack the 3.40.

Regardless, I followed your advice and strated updating the BIOS version by version with clear CMOS between for each.

3.40 -> 3.60 OK
3.60 -> 3.61 OK
3.61 -> 3.80 NOT OK

The system kept restarting on it's own, no boot, no BIOS. Error on the motherboard 0d.

Searched a bit over 0d and found

0d     Problem related to memory, VGA card or other devices. Please clear CMOS, re-install the memory and VGA card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.

I will try to remove the memory from slot B in order to install the BIOS but I don't think this is the issue here as it worked with the 2700X on 4.0 Version.

Do you have other suggestions?
Thanks!
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:04pm
ok, I had 0d once as well. It was USB3 cable for case's front panel not plugged in correctly and fully. Also, Asrock has the most basic error codes in existence. I mean, memory nsho9uld have it's own code, VGA as well, and I'm not even talking about helpfulness of "other devices". It's like me turning around and saying: Some of the parts of your PC are not working...

So 3.61 works without rebooting with 5950x? Just you can't see half of the RAM?
What does windows task manager says about the amount of RAM in the system, does it say that half of it is hardware reserved?
Also, how many channels does CPU Z Memory section reports?
Stay on 3.61 version for a minute, reseat the memory sticks, if they still don't work all together, try them one by one in A2 slot. Maybe run short memory test with each RAM stick in
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm
3.61 works fine, 3.80 gives the 0d error.

I've tried switching all memories on the A1 A2 slots they work. I put the in my old rig with the X470 Taichi, I get 32GB RAM, they all work in BIOS, all 4 slots.

In Windows task manager I get 16GB only. In CPU-Z I can see all 4 slots/channels, I can navigate to all of them.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:14pm
Does windows Task Manager reports them as hardware reserved?
folding@home
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:18pm
also have a skim through this thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18010&PN=1&title=asrock-taichi-x570-issues

It might have some suggestions to try ;)
folding@home
cynk42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by muziqaz muziqaz wrote:

Does windows Task Manager reports them as hardware reserved?

I can't tell because I am using Linux now, I'll check later.

The most intriguing thing is that with the 2700X it booted with de 4.00 BIOS and it saw all 4 RAM in the BIOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic