ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970M Pro3 SB heatsink loose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarknessConcept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970M Pro3 SB heatsink loose
    Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
I just got around to installing 970M Pro3 this evening. While doing so, I noticed a rattling sound which after much scrutiny I noticed was coming from the heatsink on the SB (labeled heatsink2 on the PCB). It is affixed with two push screw type fittings with which I have seen but am unfamiliar. The VRM and NB heatsinks are solid and do not move, but the SB heatsink is wobbling around. The push screw mount appears to be on correctly (the plastic pegs pass through the spring, pass through the mount itself and through the motherboard) but since I have never really messed with this type of mount I cannot be sure if it is fact correct. Since I have not taken the heatsink off (admittedly, I'm not really sure how to take it off), I don't know if maybe there is double sided thermal adhesive tape under there to transfer heat from the SB to the heatsink or what. Maybe the tape (if there is tape) has come loose? Anybody have any advice on how to rectify this situation, or any advice in general about this type of mount? I feel like I may be missing something obvious here. Confused
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:40pm
If it is new take it back to the store/RMA it. It should not be loose.

Never take a chance on new hardware Wink
DarknessConcept View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarknessConcept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

If it is new take it back to the store/RMA it.

The E-tailer I purchased the board from offers a 30 replace/refund but unfortunately I am past that timeline (been on the road for work and it arrived while I was away). So, it seems my option at this point is to try to secure the heatsink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic