ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onboard WIFI speed varies depending on website

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuowLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onboard WIFI speed varies depending on website
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:04am
I recently purchased an ASrock A520M/ac Motherboard from Amazon to use in a build for my parents. Upon booting it up, installing the hdd from their old prebuilt, and flipping it on, the WIFI speed was in the 100 kilobit range. After screwing around in device manager, I got some websites to work at a speed of 10-20 megabits. Somewhat slow, but acceptable. Most websites, however (Gmail, Fandom, DataCamp, etc.) were still slow. I installed the drivers, both from the included CD and the Intel website, but that didn't help. The current solution is using a VPN, but, as the free one I use doesn't auto-initialize, it's annoying to do.

I installed a different HDD with a fresh copy of windows, and it worked fine, so the issue is with residual files on the device. I don't know where they might be, and need help finding them (the spare hard drive was an old laptop drive that is too slow to be worth installing, and even if I did, I'd have to transfer all the files.)

Thanks,

QuowLord
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:26pm
something to try if you want ..

go into device manager, click on "view" and then "show hidden devices"

remove/uninstall all the greyed out entries from old hardware on previous setup

Then reboot

make sure to install latest chipset drivers from AMD.com

|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:47pm
If using VPN helps with your speeds, your motherboard has nothing to do with it. Your ISP might be having issues with the service.
folding@home
QuowLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuowLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:10pm
I'm sorry to say this, but I mentioned that a fresh install of windows on a spare hdd fixed the issue. I'm thus trying to find old files that may be causing me issues.
QuowLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuowLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:11pm
I've nuked a pc trying to uninstall devices in device manager before. Are you thinking to remove all old devices, or just old network adapters? Just network adapters didn't work.
StefaanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefaanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:12pm
The internet provider can only do if the WiFi comes from the modem.
Be sure to use wpa and a very strong password, don't use the password of Your interest provider, I use a 63 characters , the max for wpa that nobody can crack but if You a 8 characters use then a crack software can crack that in an hour or so depending on the speed and power of the cracker.

I use a wifi router and stable wifi signal on a Asrock X399 taichi board.

It's not the websites except Chinese sites with low download from 25kbpsfor example but most websites are fast.

Test the internet speed on ookla for example and do note that Your modem can vary alsoa bit in the connection with your isp sure withe cable docsis systems where a online gamers can steal bandwith from you ,DSL has this problem not often.
QuowLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuowLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
I managed to fix the issue in a roundabout way. Since I knew the issue was with system files, I tried to find a way to reinstall Windows without deleting my files, as that would necessitate a lengthy backup process. Lo and behold, Microsoft has a tool for that intended to repair corrupt system files. A walkthrough of a process can be found [URL=https://www.techspot.com/guides/1764-windows-repair-keep-all-your-files-intact/]here[/URL].

Thank you for all the ideas!

(The moral of the story is, don't attempt to reuse a hard drive from a prebuilt computer.)
StefaanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefaanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 1:57am
with sfc /scannow or another method?
QuowLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuowLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:51am
The method linked above(the link broke, so you'll have to copy and paste this: https://www.techspot.com/guides/1764-windows-repair-keep-all-your-files-intact)
StefaanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefaanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 3:19am
I keep the os safe with sfc /scannow cause SSD's may have bad nodes from the standpoint of the manufacter and anSSD will have corrupted data which a reinstall of windows does not help , sfc /scannow does by marking the bad spot and re-install the affected windows file and do note windows 10 has an app that can detect fault in drivers and delete the driver that leads to a fault in the OS I had it happen with a VS4800 eprom programmer driver suddenly removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic