ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming K6 and Fan-Tastic hangs in uefi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 2:15am
Hi,

I've had the hang issue on the Extreme7+.  But, many times, it unhangs after 30-45 sec and it becomes responsive again.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

Bump?

Should I contact the Tech Support to inform them about the issue?

Of course! The more complaints seen about an issue makes it much more likely that the issue will be tested to see if it is true or not.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
SuperMario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:01pm
Updated today to BIOS 2.70, same issue: as soon as I click on "Fan-tastic Tuning", the UEFI hangs. I can only use the preset for the speed of my fans.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:48pm
While I have had an occasional hang or freeze in the UEFI on my Z170 Extreme7+ board, I've rarely had it happen while using the new FAN-Tastic Tuning GUI interface. I use that to configure custom fan profiles, and it works great in general.

While the following is NOT an excuse for any freezing in the UEFI/BIOS, in my experience it seems to happen when I have my memory at its highest speed, 3200 for my Trident Z. Just wondering if you also have a higher speed memory in use.

I'm wondering if this is related to the VCCSA (System Agent) voltage, and the related (for memory) VCCIO voltage. VCCSA voltage is not a type of voltage that simply needs to be increased for stability, reducing it (from an XMP programmed value) can result in better stability. I've found my G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 memory has a very high value in the XMP profile (1.250V!), and I can reduce it to 1.160V at 3200 without issues... in Windows that is. There can be a difference between what is stable in Windows and what is stable while using the UEFI UI.

Another thing I think can cause the freezing in the UEFI/BIOS (again, NOT an excuse Confused ) is if I am moving around in the UEFI UI very quickly. As I navigate around the UEFI, I try to pause a bit between mouse clicks, which seems to help.

A work around like this should not be necessary, but if it reduces any freezing, I'll trade that for the frustration of the freezing. Saving your UEFI settings in a profile immediately after configuring one or two is a good idea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

While I have had an occasional hang or freeze in the UEFI on my Z170 Extreme7+ board, I've rarely had it happen while using the new FAN-Tastic Tuning GUI interface. I use that to configure custom fan profiles, and it works great in general.

While the following is NOT an excuse for any freezing in the UEFI/BIOS, in my experience it seems to happen when I have my memory at its highest speed, 3200 for my Trident Z. Just wondering if you also have a higher speed memory in use.

I'm wondering if this is related to the VCCSA (System Agent) voltage, and the related (for memory) VCCIO voltage. VCCSA voltage is not a type of voltage that simply needs to be increased for stability, reducing it (from an XMP programmed value) can result in better stability. I've found my G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 memory has a very high value in the XMP profile (1.250V!), and I can reduce it to 1.160V at 3200 without issues... in Windows that is. There can be a difference between what is stable in Windows and what is stable while using the UEFI UI.

Another thing I think can cause the freezing in the UEFI/BIOS (again, NOT an excuse Confused ) is if I am moving around in the UEFI UI very quickly. As I navigate around the UEFI, I try to pause a bit between mouse clicks, which seems to help.

A work around like this should not be necessary, but if it reduces any freezing, I'll trade that for the frustration of the freezing. Saving your UEFI settings in a profile immediately after configuring one or two is a good idea.

As I updated, I noticed that the VCCSA was indeed 1.250 with my Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, and prime95 gave me errors. So I put the VCCSA at 1.15V as it was in bios 2.00 before the upgrade, and now everything is fine in prime 95. But the fantastic tunig keep freezing again. Even with RAM at stock profile (not xmp at 3200) it hangs. Even if I move very slowly inside the UEFI interface.

Maybe I can try to unplug one fan at the time and see if doesn't freeze, but the fact that with 1.20 bios the fantastic tuning worked great with the same hardware and fan configuration, it makes me think that this is a uefi related problem.

The fantastic is an awesome utility, and using it only with the preset is a bit bad for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:11pm
Tried to unplug all fan except cpu fan and cpu fan 2, same behaviour

I do not know what to do
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

Bump?

Should I contact the Tech Support to inform them about the issue?

Please do, here: http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 10:12pm
An update

I switched to the second BIOS using the jumper, then I installed the latest BIOS (2.70). Using the second BIOS, I can enter the fantastic tuning and, even though the graphics is still corrupted (i see only the cpus and chassis fan 1&2, I cannot scoll down, but chassis fan 3&4 are selectable anyway using keyboard arrows and enter), I can modify the behaviour of any fan, even using the graph, without any hangs.

Notice that before the upgrade of the second bios to 2.70, the 1.20 was mounted, and the fantastic tuning worked well, even without graphic corruption.

Quite strange to me.
s0fy4n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s0fy4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 7:38pm
UNFORTUNATELY this also happen with my K6+ too Ermm, latest bios 2.60.. the uefi freeze hang when opening fan-tastic menu,
I've already contact Tech Support, i'm waiting for new bios, hope it come soon

Edited by s0fy4n - 08 Jul 2016 at 8:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic