ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Changed the RAM speed, computer now won't work.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changed the RAM speed, computer now won't work.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasbeefnoodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changed the RAM speed, computer now won't work.
    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:17pm
The computer was working properly. Just discovered that I had to change the RAM speed manually in the BIOS to get it to run at its marketed speed. So that's what I did. I changed the speed to 3600. Now the PC won't POST, the monitor is blank.

After reading online I gathered the solution was to clear the CMOS/reset BIOS. I tried numerous techniques, the last being unplugged the PSU, took the CMOS battery out, and left it out overnight. Now POST get stuck at "boot" (observing motherboard's POST status checker), then when I restart it, the monitor will show the motherboard logo and the text below saying press F2 or DEL to go to the BIOS, then the computer will immediately restart and repeat the same thing. Pressing F2 or DEL doesn't do anything.

My setup
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 3700x
Mobo: ASROCK B550m Pro4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(2x16GB) CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
Graphics: GTX960
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:52pm
After resetting the BIOS, remove everything except one stick of RAM placed in second slot from the CPU, CPU itself and GPU.
Make sure your keyboard and mouse is plugged into black USB slots, or if you have PS2 keyboard plug it into PS2 port.
Start your PC and when Asrock logo shows up, start punching either Del or F2.
Hopefully that will get you into BIOS.
Once in BIOS, when setting RAM speed, make sure that RAM voltages (VRAM) are set to at least 1.35v. Even with that set up there is no guarantee you will achieve stable operations with those speeds.
Some motherboards run better if you use XMP profile, which sets everything up for you automatically, but that one is like lottery
folding@home
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:03pm
Good advice from muziqaz.
Good luck with getting your Corsair ram to run at 3600Mhz. I have a B550 Phantom Gaming 4 MB with 4 x 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz ram. I have not been successful at setting the ram's XMP profile. It defaults to 2166Mhz. Best I can do is run it at 3200Mhz. Like yours sometimes it would get stuck in a boot loop and I would have to use only one stick of ram and clear CMOS to get back into the bios.
I have tried flashing it to different bios but still stuck at 3200Mhz.
If interested you can read what I have tried in these threads:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14261&KW=&title=ram-your-using-on-phantom-gaming-4-board

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16936&KW=&title=b550-phantom-gaming-4-a-c-ram-issue

texasbeefnoodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasbeefnoodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:28pm
Thank you guys so much for the advice. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I sent in a tech support ticket and they gave the same advice and also recommended taking off all components. It still didn't work. So either the motherboard is defective or the instructions didn't really reset the CMOS or the motherboard's defective in the CMOS reset department.

I've sent in a replacement request.
StefaanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StefaanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:50pm
how much ram is in it, cause i had to lower the speed due to 128gb in a x399 taichi , read the manual related to ram configuration oh and usual if the system does not boot, setting too high , latest bios?
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:29pm
2x16GB
folding@home
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic