ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97e-itx & i7-5775c Freeze Ubuntu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyraton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97e-itx & i7-5775c Freeze Ubuntu
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:36am
Z97e-itx with i7-5775c with Intel onboard Iris as the only video
1.80 UEFI(Bios)
UEFI exclusive boot for both Win10 and Linux
Win10 installed as second drive
Ubuntu derivative (Linux Mint) as initial drive

The stock Linux kernel of 3.13... was replaced with 4.4 kernel and issues with lack of Iris recognition resolved.  Had a heckuva time getting the kernel installed.  System freezes every couple of minutes.

Is the Beta 2.0 UEFI my next step or should something or a bunch of somethings be turned off in the current 1.8 UEFI?

The Bluetooth does not work in Linux but does in Win10.  Perhaps I need to build a custom kernel?

I'm not terribly capable on this stuff.  Usually I just beat on the machine until it gives up and works.

thanks

tommyraton-
Termie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:25pm
Since months the faulty 1.80 BIOS is the last official Z97e-itx/ac BIOS from ASRock.
ASRock doesn´t bother to change this situation.
Yes you can try the Beta P2.00, Broadwell freezes should disappear with this version.

If not, I can provide you with additional Beta BIOS Versions (P1.91, T2.00A, T2.00B)
which I received from ASRock support (and which didn´t improve anything compared
to P2.00). Dead

I´m annoyed. Payed a lot of money for this board and now I feel abandoned with the
"support 4th and 5th generation Intel CPUs" strapline and the abortive duration-Beta-
BIOS-support.

Edited by Termie - 26 Jan 2016 at 7:28pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:39pm
Unfortunately ASRock does not provide support for linux so your best option is to try the beta BIOS and if you still have issues try send a ticket to ASRock Tech Support. While they do not support linux they are usually willing to help when the issue is related to the BIOS or the product as a whole.
tommyraton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyraton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
Termie Xalter

The beta 2.0 Uefi has solved my freeze problem.  At least overnight there was no issues and no reboot in the 8 or so hours where before it was every 2 or three minutes.  So I'm good for now.  Even bluetooth functionality has returned

Appreciate the input and information.

tom
tommyraton-
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:46am
Sounds odd. I wonder what the problem was.

It should be noted, though, that the newest kernel isn't always the best choice. Sometimes it's slower than older kernels and sometimes new bugs are introduced as old ones are fixed. If everything works now, I'd think twice about upgrading the kernel. Remember that the recommended kernel for Linux Mint is 3.19.0-32 at the moment. Any newer than that and there's a possibility of running into issues. Mint's own update manager doesn't even let you install anything newer than 4.2.0-25, so the 4.4 brings an added risk. I personally don't think the risks are great (I'm running the 4.2.0-23 without issues), since 4.2.0-23 or 4.4 are not "mere" release candidates, but one should still remember to keep them in mind.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic