ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H81TM-ITX R2.0 VGA card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H81TM-ITX R2.0 VGA card
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm
Hello there,

I would like to purchase this mobo as it features a dc-in jack.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81TM-ITX%20R2.0/

However, I would like to install a Celeron G1820 and add a discrete GPU, let's say this R7 240 :
http://www.amazon.fr/Asus-R7240-SL-2GD3-L-Carte-graphique-Express/dp/B00J0SATEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453730503&sr=8-1&keywords=r7+240+passive

Two questions :

- Can I fit the card straight into the PCIe x 4 slot or do I have to use that kind of riser ?
http://eshop.sintech.cn/flexible-pci-express-x4-to-x16-riser-card-p-608.html

- Would the DC-IN jack be able to power the R7 240 + the Celeron G1820 ?
Let's assume my power brick is certified for 130 W.

Thanks a lot for your answers, will determine if I choose this board !
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:32pm
The PCIe x4 half slot is open ended so the card should be able to install directly into it. As for power requirements the R7 240 and celeron G1820 should be able to run on a 130w power brick but as I have not built a system on that board or any like it I cannot say with absolute certainty. It will also depend on what additional peripherals/fans will be installed in the system.
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:42pm
Hi Xaltar,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

Regarding the power supply, my question was whether a DC-IN onboard jack could run at all that kind of system, regardless the wattage of the power brick.
A member of an other forum sugested that a PICO-PSU would be mandatory, a simple DC-IN jack could not handle such a system (G1820, R7 240, 3 x 92 mm rads, one SSD).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 11:57pm
The specs say this board can be used with up to 65W TDP processors. The Celeron G1820 is a 53W TDP processor.

The specs for this board also include this about the DC power supply:

Please use a 19V power adapter for the DC jack. his jack accepts dual barrel plugs with an inner diameter of 5.1 mm and an outer diameter of 7.4 mm, where the inner contact is +19 (±10%) VDC and the shell is GND.

The user manual lists three compatible power supplies, each of 150W capacity.

A video card drawing power only from the PCIe slot, that supplies 75W maximum, would be the greatest single load on the PSU.

A review of an R7 240 I found, used with a standard Z77 chipset board and an over clocked i5-2550K, showed the maximum power usage of the system as 122W.

Given this information, you might be able to get by with a 150W PSU, but I would not use less than that. How you would supply power to your "3 x 92mm rads", and pump (I assume), I don't know.

Your question about, "... regardless the wattage of the power brick.", will depend greatly upon the capacity of the power brick. That is the main variable that cannot be overlooked IMO.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 12:22am
Also keep in mind that R7 240 will operate at/in x4, as it is an x4 slot it will be going into.

ie: if you plan on gaming with the mid-row titles it may be a sloth.

Edited by wardog - 27 Jan 2016 at 12:24am
aquelito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquelito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:29pm
Yep, too bad the H81 board has not the same specs as the AM1H-ITX (full PCIE, DIMM slots).

Why is there such differences ?

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I think I am going to go for an other board, with a standard PicoPSU unit.
Safer this way :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic