ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deskmini 310W dead after i9-9900 upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deskmini 310W dead after i9-9900 upgrade
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:45pm
Hi there!

I've been using a Deskmini 310W for the past year with no issue. I was using it with a Intel Core i7-9700T. Today, I wanted to upgrade to an i9-9900 (brand new). Swapped the CPU, started the system. I had a message like F2 or ESC for bios, F11 for something, etc. 4 options. But the keyboard was not working ... Odd. Tried multiple time. Nothing. So I thought the BIOS has to be upgraded for the i9-9900 to work. Put back the i7 and then nothing. No message, black screen. Tried to reconnect everything, nothing. Black screen.

I've ordered a new Deskmini 310w because I really need it but now I don't know which CPU to install ... :( I'm just afraid the same thing is going to happen if I install the i9-9900 ...

There is one Amazon review stating: "with the recent bios update to 3.40, the intel i9 series of processors will work however as they are unlocked multipliers, the TDP is set up to 95W, which exceeds the maximum 65W recommended for this board.... you have the potential to cook the board and make it unusable by using the current i9 intel processors."

Any suggestion£ Thank you!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:18pm
I would try clearing CMOS (with the 9700T installed) and see if you can't get
the system running again.

I would not recommend a 95w CPU in a Deskmini, it will be taxing both the power
delivery system of the board as well as your power brick. The 9700T is perfect,
lower power draw but still plenty of performance and cores.
fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 12:14am
The deskmini doesn't work anymore with the 9700T :( I think something got fried when I installed the i9-9900. BTW the i9-9900 is rated at 65 TDP so I don't know why the deskmini couldn't handle it.

fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 12:16am
On the CPU support list, it says that the i9-9900 is supported

https://www.asrock.com/Nettop/Intel/DeskMini%20310%20Series/index.asp#CPU

Fred
fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 12:41am
I know understand what you mention with clearing the CMOS ...

"Clear CMOS Pad allows you to clear the data in CMOS. To clear
CMOS, disconnect the power supply and short the Clear CMOS Pad."

Do you know how I short the pad£
fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 4:58am
Tried to short the CMOS pad but no change. Installed the i7 CPU, stick of ram and M.2 stick ... No go. Black screen.

When the new one comes in on Wednesday, I will install the i7 and not upgrade to i9-9900 even tough it says it is supported. I don't want to take the risk :(
fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:26pm
Would have been great to get confirmation about the i9-9900 being supported. Are there any customers using it with Deskmini 310w£
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm
I am just a moderator and don't speak for ASRock. My advice is simply that, I
personally would not use a 9900 on a Deskmini, just like I would be uncomfortable
putting a 9900 in a regular H310 desktop board, the power design just isn't beefy
enough. The deskmini makes sacrifices for the sake of small form factor and the
H310 boards sacrifice for the sake of cost. The components in the desk mini are
much higher quality than what you would find on a budget board but they are not
configured for high power draw.

Technically, the 9900 should work but it will be pushing the limits of the board.
If I may ask, what are you using the system for that you feel the need to
upgrade from the already very capable 9700T£
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 8:46pm
As for shorting the clear CMOS pads, you can use any conductive object and just
bridge the 2 contacts (with the power disconnected from the unit). I typically use
a pair of tweezers or flat head screw driver, you can also use a length of electrical
wire and just touch each end to a pad.
fredus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:39am
Thanks a lot for your perspective on the i9-9900! It supports my opinion as well. Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic