ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

get into bios with 5k monitor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phorgan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: get into bios with 5k monitor?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:08am
I read that the ASRock Z170 OC Formula motherboard I want can not display in BIOS, either UEFI or legacy, on a 5K monitor. Is that true?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:26am
Where is this conversation being held? Link please.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:01pm
I would like to see this as well.

Since your post has ZERO details, we don't know if that is via a video card or integrated graphics.

The Z170 OC Formula has two integrated graphics outputs, HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2. Both support 4K video (4096x2304), but at different refresh rates. Those specs of course are those of the Skylake integrated graphics.

The ASRock UEFI display is a full standard HD video resolution (1080p) by an option in the UEFI itself. By default this option is set to Auto so no resolution is enforced upon the source.

I'd like to see how any board's UEFI looks with a 4K monitor. 4K is barely sorted out yet, and far from mainstream. Talking/worrying about 5K is a bit premature.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 6:25pm
I read some time ago that some(all??) 5k monitors, by design, DO NOT display while (U)EFI is in POST/booting. Regardless of what the monitor is connected to output wise.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19627646

Raddock backs the above up in his post:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/4k-and-5k-display-buyers-guide-for-macs.1950766/#post-22470845

Now whether that has something currently to do with a 5k displays EDID/DTD descriptors being read/capable in the BIOS(EFI) at boot is beyond my knowledge.

Yet, at this early stage to single out one board is not the whole picture(no pun intended) of goings on when one might make the statement the OP does.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic