ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with b85m-itx motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by kitalor kitalor wrote:

Thanks for replying guys. I appreciate it.

Perhaps this is a non-issue. What I have just discovered is if I reboot from Windows I lose my oc everytime. However if I shut down and power back up all my chosen settings remain in place.
A windows 8.1 issue? boot sequence?
Like I said I am seeing no signs of instability, bsod or otherwise

I think I can live with this. I have an i7 desktop video editing machine for real work and a ps4 for games.
Essentially this is a htpc that i will use for movies, browsing, torrents and cpu-gpu light and older games.

Still wanting to squeeze as much performance but also energy efficiency as I can out of it as it will be left on and  downloading for long periods.

Right now with my oc of 4.2 the pc is consuming 50w idling (800mhz in hwmonitor) and up to 90w full throttle (4200 mhz) with prime 95 torture test (measured through a plug in power meter). 500w silverstone strider psu.
Is this good? the best I can hope for?  

I've never used a non-Z OC board, so without direct experience I can only speculate.

Something that may be a coincidence with the way you lose your OC settings on a restart but not on a cold boot, is the Windows 8.1 Fast Startup feature. Enabled by default, this feature works only from a cold boot/start, it is not active on restarts.

Regarding power consumption, 50W is good, you seem to have all the CPU power saving options enabled, such as C States. The Windows Power Plan settings are important with Haswell CPUs. You should check the Advanced Settings of your Power Plan and check settings related to power usage, such as Hard disk, Turn off drive after X minutes, PCI Express Link State Power Management, and Processor Power Management, which should be at 5% or less for the Minimum.

Your PSU is 80+ Bronze certified, so about 75% efficient at an idle power draw of 50W. Don't forget that power usage figure includes the loss of power due to the inefficiency of the PSU. The PC itself (minus PSU) is not using 50W, it is using about 38W. A newer 80+ Gold or Platinum PSU would increase your efficiency, but at low loads of 50W (10% of 500W) you'll only get up to about 80% PSU efficiency.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:45pm

Anybody able to comment on my settings or point me towards an oc methodology/guide that would make sense with this board?

At the very top of your UEFI pictures, I see non-Z OC set to Disabled. Why?

Using the XMP memory setting on your memory can cause other UEFI settings besides memory to be set. Some of those settings may not be visible to us. XMP is really a convenience feature, but has the added side affect of other setting being set that may not help us. Since you are stuck at 1400 anyway, disable XMP and set your memory manually.
kitalor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitalor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:18pm
Thanks Parsec.
The Nonz-OC drop down only gives pre configured options , 3.8, 4.0, 4.2 and so on. This is one of the things I have tested extensivley i.e straight preconfigured o.c vs slight alterations vs manual configuration. No difference in this boot issue.

disabling the xmp or leaving it on also doesn't make a difference I'm aware of. Do you mean for me to go in and do the timings as well? 

Can I change the windows fast boot settings? there are some in the bios which also don't make a difference. One thing I notice is I can't access boot options by holding down f11 at startup. 

Here are some shots of hwinfo whilst running prime 95 in both states (with overclock working from cold boot and not working from reboot). Interestingly I can't see any difference in  numbers except in the cpu window at the top right. 

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 11:01pm
So from cold boot the OC is in place and reboot from windows disables it.....

That sounds like something coming from the OS rather than the board itself. An easy test would be to create a linux USB key and boot from that, restart from linux and see if the OC is still there on a linux install. I typically make a Ubuntu USB installation and keep it on hand for data recovery and fault finding, you can get LinuxLive USB Creator and download a linux ISO and have it set up in minutes. 

If linux does not reproduce the problem then windows is your culprit and I suspect it may have something to do with an incomplete or only partial uninstall of A-Tuning interfering with the bios.
kitalor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitalor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 9:41am
Just thought I'd update this  for anyone else searching for a solution to the problem.

I gave up on the OC as I wasn't doing anything particularly demanding with the pc at the time (reverted to stock). Recently I upgraded my gpu and did a fresh install of windows 10 (up from 8.1).
For whatever reason the OC that I was trying at the time now works as it should with the speedstep.

Weird that I could never find out whether this was even possible with this board
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm

Weird that I could never find out whether this was even possible with this board

You can thank ASRock for that BIOS update you probably performed between Windows 8.1 and 10

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&q=g3258+microsoft+asrock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic