ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97 extreme9 networking problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97 extreme9 networking problem
    Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 5:12am
I have noticed file transfer corruption under certain conditions:
1. When the extreme9 is the source of the data copying 1 file of known SHA256 hash to either destination machine, the SHA256 on either destination machine after copying is in error.
2. When the extreme9 is the destination of the data copied from either source machine, there is no error.

It is as though the extreme9 can't write to the LAN without data corruption. It can read from the LAN fine.

I also connected the same LAN cable to an Asix A88772B-based USB<->Ethernet adapter (only 100Mbs-1) and this transfers in either direction without error.

This points to something odd (either hardware or driver I guess) in the path from the RJ-45 LAN connectors to the PCI express bus into the z97 chip via either of the Intel LAN chips, but I'm kinda stuck at this point as to how to debug the problem further.

Any advice much appreciated.

OS = w7x64
All drivers up-to-date (today), devmgmt.msc no unknown drivers.
disk = intel SSD750 400MB
cpu = i7-4790K
4x8GB ddr3-1600
using IGP to drive 4k display

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:08am
See, I read your post and come to the exact opposite conclusion of your thinking.

I posit that it's these other two computers are slower and that the Extreme9 with its SSD750 is so saturating the ethernet that it's in fact the other two that are "choking' and corrupting the file/transfer.

As a test, and the way you describe above, # 1 + 2, instead place a file on a USB stick into a USB port on the Extreme9,edit: transfer this file FROM the USB stick to one or both others machines, and see if the CRCs match. My guess is they will.

Edited by wardog - 28 Jan 2016 at 10:43am
timothj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 5:41pm
I like your lateral thinking, but unfortunately a test with the USB-stick as source also gives a SHA256 error. I have also tested with SATA3 SSDs and an Ultra II SSD in a USB30 enclosure as sources and both of these result in SHA256 errors.

Only file transfers appear to be an issue, PINGs and VNC sessions between machines are working.

To summarise, regardless of whether the storage is PCI-E SSD, SATA3 SSD , SanDisk stick or USB30 SSD
extreme9 <- gryphon =PASS
extreme9 <- laptop = PASS
gryphon <- extreme9 = FAIL
gryphon <- laptop = PASS
laptop <- extreme9 = FAIL
laptop <- gryphon = PASS

I will likely experiment further once I lay my hands on a PCI-E network card. Will report back later today.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:32pm
Well that sux. I had high hopes on that reply Tongue

Curios.

1. What protocol are you using to transfer this/these file?

2. What file types, and are they compressed or uncompressed?

3. You're simply transferring this/these files and not....say, .. .. converting and audio CD to FLAC and in the process having the resultant FLAC files be produced on another networked machine are you? I know. I know. But I have to rule it out as there are people that attempt this sort of thing :)

4. re: latest NIC/PHY driver. Where did you get the driver zip you're using now.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:35pm
5. Wired or wireless connection(s)? Again, I know. I know.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
Sorry man. I'm still knocking my gray matter around on this one.

6. Is any anti-virus or the likes holding up/slowing down/locking these transfers while scanning the file(s) on any/all the machines?
timothj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 1:08am
Right, answers to questions...

These are simple file copies, so Windows Explorer, sometimes fastcopy just to double-check it's not a Windows  Explorer bug. I'm using mapped drives for the copies, not UNC paths. I'm using 2 files both VirtualBox setup EXEs (so compressed). After copying, the generated SHA256s appear random, there's no pattern to the after-copy SHA256s. NIC driver (19.0.27.0) was downloaded from the  z97 extreme97 w7x64 downloads page of the AsRock website from the USA link as this is HTTP, the Europe one is FTP.

Wired, CAT-6A 3m STP cable.

No AV. I test with and without VNC sessions just in case, but it makes no difference.

I now have a PCI-E NIC to try out (chip is Realtek RTL8168B) so will run more tests and update in a couple of hours.
timothj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:13am
Update:

Using a PCI-E NIC has no effect, file copies are still corrupted.

Also tried a higher speed USB<->Ethernet adapter (USB30 1Gbs-1) and this provides corruption-free transfers as per the USB20 100Mbs-1 case, but at the required blink-and-you-miss-it speeds, so I have a workaround.

Will happily conduct further tests, can try a few different machine configurations, OS re-install possible, it just takes time; keen to get to the bottom of this....
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:19am
Here, first lets rule out old network drivers. Occasionally older NIC drivers will butt heads with new(er) programs and or system files.

Much much newer I211-AT NIC/PHY drivers from:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/64404/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I211-AT

So you're aware, these will also unlike the drivers from ASRock(last I checked) also install Intel's PROSet utility.

Edited by wardog - 29 Jan 2016 at 3:21am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:25am
Awhoops. We posted over the tops of each other.

Let me locate newer Intel INF and IME files for you.

What OS?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic