ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99X Killer no display during boot, but works?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99X Killer no display during boot, but works?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 12:45pm
I just got my X99X killer in the mail and installed.

This board is...to say the least a bit quirky. I tend to not like keeping products that don't work properly so hopefully you guys can shed some light on this.

So, when I first started booting and stuff, I thought the board wasn't POSTing. 

What I found was that, if I unplugged my displayport cable from my 980 Ti, hit the reset switch, plugged it in right after, I would get display. Was able to make it into BIOS.

After I concluded this, I looked for any setting in the BIOS that would cause this, found nothing.

Next I began to boot into Windows. I set my SATA to RAID mode, it saw my RAID, but it didn't automatically set the boot device to Windows Boot Manager. No problem, i'll just enter BIOS and set it right? WRONG! Every time I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete I would get black screen, Intel RST screen, ASrock logo, then "invalid boot device". I was trying to hit F2 / Del when booting but it wasn't registering and my keyboard was even lit up. Sometimes if i tried to spam F2 / Del it would glitch everything out and just cause the posting process to freeze/hang.

So I updated the BIOS to the latest via the UEFI. Seems to work ... okay now. It auto set the boot device to Windows Boot Manager. Now here's my biggest complaint and one reason I'm thinking of returning the board.

From a cold boot I literally don't see anything until I get to the Windows login screen. Is there a workaround for this? The board seems to be a bit buggy with displaying to screens and has been problematic in my attempts to overclock as I can't tell if it's blue screening before windows or simply not posting due to not enough voltage for the core.

Thanks.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 7:56am
Originally posted by dajinn dajinn wrote:

It auto set the boot device to Windows Boot Manager. Now here's my biggest complaint and one reason I'm thinking of returning the board.

Boot Device to Windows Boot Manager is by design and exactly how it is supposed to be. As you've discovered, changing it away from Windows Boot Manager is proving problematic.

A lot has changed since the days of ol'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic