ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Pro4-F issue after updating BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lysander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Pro4-F issue after updating BIOS
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:51pm
Hello all,

I'm no more than a tech enthusiast, so I will try to be as detailed as I can be with this issue I'm having:

Recently I upgraded a few components of my PC: Got a couple of RAM modules and a new Western Digital NVMe SSD.

After upgrading my BIOS version to the latest available (as I'm planning on getting a new Ryzen processor for my computer, a 5000 Series), all of a sudden, my computer stopped booting.

Here is my system config:

- MOBO: AsRock B450M PRO4-F
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3400G
- SDSD: Western Digital Blue SN550 (NVME)
- RAM: Micron Ballistics (8GB) DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz x1
       OLOy (8GB) DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz x2

First I'd make a fresh Windows 10 installation on the new SSD, installed the two new RAM modules on sockets A2 and B1 (so I'd be using A1, A2, and B1 sockets), installed all drivers, and software recommended on AsRock support for my BIOS...

And then I noticed the BIOS update file 2.70 available.
So I grabbed a flash drive and went ahead, what could possibly go wrong if I was already thinking of getting a new processor£

Well... After upgrading BIOS my computer stopped booting. I would not post BIOS nor give any video output.
I just kept trying to start for a few seconds (15£ I'd say), then reboot and repeat the same until I turned it off manually.

I started to freak out, trying to figure out what could be wrong.
After many testing, I was able to make it boot into BIOS and Windows after removing 2 of the 3 RAM modules (only 1 remained on the A2 socket)

I tested all 3 RAM modules on the A2 socket and they all work, the computer would boot normally.
I ended up installing the 3 RAM modules in the sockets A2, B1, and B2, and the computer booted with no issues.

I can't understand why after a BIOS update, the A1 Socket seemed to stop working, and I'm concerned as I was also thinking of getting a 4th RAM module.

Thank you in advance!
Live to win, dare to fail.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:25pm
Today's motherboards and CPUs hate different kind and speed RAM modules, I'm afraid. Mix and matching days are over, unfortunately.
You have to have matching memory modules in dual channel set up. Otherwise you are asking for huge problems
folding@home
Lysander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lysander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 1:57am
Originally posted by muziqaz muziqaz wrote:

Today's motherboards and CPUs hate different kind and speed RAM modules, I'm afraid. Mix and matching days are over, unfortunately.
You have to have matching memory modules in dual channel set up. Otherwise you are asking for huge problems

Thank you for the reply.

The OLOy RAM modules (@3000Mhz), are in a dual-channel configuration (sockets A2 and B2), while the Micron Ballistics (@2666Mhz) is placed on the B1 socket.

With that configuration, the computer is working just fine.
I just don't get what could possibly happen to the A1 socket.
Live to win, dare to fail.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 2:12am
If you have 3 sticks of RAM they will work in Single channel mode. So not worth it, as you gonna be hit hard in performance.
A1 will function only if you have something else in the rest of the slots. It is not recommended to have anything in A1 slot if there is nothing in B1 slot. And Motherboard manufacturers always recommend to populate A2/B2 slots, instead of A1/B1.
So currently you are handicapping your system big time which negates all the positives you get from getting more RAM, as your set up not only runs at 2666Mhz speeds (instead of 3000) and in single channel mode. As I mentioned, best bet would be to cut your losses and get some decent dual channel RAM at your required capacity and forget that lego you have going on there :)
folding@home
cristiandavidsanta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristiandavidsanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 2:55am
be a bit late, I recommend you put your memories in a1 b1 and set the frequency to 2666 to be more stable your system or mix everything by setting it to 2400 mhz.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:16am
The recommended (primary channel) slots are A2 and B2. I would not recommend using
3 RAM modules unless you are really needing the extra capacity (photoshop, video
editing etc). In every scenario that relies on speed you will be taking a 50% hit
to performance. I have extensively tested different RAM configurations and A1+B1
never provides the best performance. In fact, quite often causes stability issues.

Mix and matching brands and models is also not recommended but, it does work in
some cases. If you get lucky you may be able to run 4 mismatched modules but I
would recommend you set the frequency to the lowest supported, or even just
2133 to ensure the best chance of stability.

Edited by Xaltar - 07 Jun 2021 at 4:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic