ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170's Motherboard non-K OC Beta Bios

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oemspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170's Motherboard non-K OC Beta Bios
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:44pm
My question it's about the beta bios update that Asrock launch on december 15th to let OC on non-K Skylake cpu's.
Recently on january 27th thet have launch an oficcial bios update that correct a bug on Skylake cpu's.
There is the option to OC non-K Skylake cpu's on this last stable bios of Z170's motherboards?.
Has Asrock implement the OC non-K skylake cpu's on all the stable bios launched after december 15th or the only bios that with this capablility is the december 15th beta bios?.
Thanks.
peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:11pm
Yes, new bios versions include SKYOC
Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD
oemspain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oemspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
Thanks, peroni for the confirmation.
One more question for you, because i see you have simimilar configuration than me (i5, SSD 950 Pro).
The OC of the BLK, will affect the PCI-e lines of the SSD?. I suposed not.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:36pm
Bus speeds (PCIe lanes etc) are not affected by the BCLK no. This is why BCLK overclocking is possible on Skylake where it was not, at least anywhere near as much, on Haswell and going back to Sandybridge.
oemspain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oemspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm
Thanks, Xaltar. Nice notice ;-)
sprudel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprudel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 1:26am
at least on the Z170M Pro4S, SKYOC does not work really good with the beta bios, nor the 2.40.
you can set a vid offset to a non k cpu which will only work if you leave bclk @ auto.

when you increase bclk you are able to set any voltage you want but it will not affect the vid, so you are very limited to the oc by the default vid..Yes, you can leave offset @auto -> 1.05v, or +400 -> 1.05v.

i already mailed to the support weeks ago but no answer.

Mcflurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcflurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:43am
Originally posted by sprudel sprudel wrote:

at least on the Z170M Pro4S, SKYOC does not work really good with the beta bios, nor the 2.40.
you can set a vid offset to a non k cpu which will only work if you leave bclk @ auto.

when you increase bclk you are able to set any voltage you want but it will not affect the vid, so you are very limited to the oc by the default vid..Yes, you can leave offset @auto -> 1.05v, or +400 -> 1.05v.

i already mailed to the support weeks ago but no answer.

I am having exactly the same problem with my Z170M Pro4S, on both L2.23 and L2.40, firstly there is no voltage control, only voltage offset options, secondly, if I change my BCLK to anything, the voltage will always be stick at auto (1.088v).

Should I refund this board and go for a Gigabyte or Asus which have similar price?
sprudel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprudel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 4:55am
I still hope ASRock will fix that with the next Bios even if this is a low budget board
ProperT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProperT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:13pm
I just spent a few hours figuring out that I could only increase voltage offset effectively if I leave BCLK at 100. Angry wish I would have saved my time and read your posts. I'll add to the inquiries to ASrock of this and hopefully that can fix it for us, but with all the intel trying to close the door on the non-k oc, maybe Its safer to just get a different board that allows Vcore adjustments. any suggestions?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:56pm
First, Sky OC is officially dead, if you haven't noticed all the UEFI updates flooding in for Z170 boards.

For example, the description for UEFI 2.60 for my Z170 board:

1.Update microcode to 0x76.
2.Remove Sky OC function.

This is a news item at PC enthusiast websites, so you can find stories about it all over the Internet.

If you like Sky OC, don't drink the poison UEFI update. Dead  The poison is actually microcode 0x76. The rest is any UEFI options related to Sky OC. The latter are worthless anyway, once you have the former.

Given this development, there of course will NOT be any fixes for bugs related to Sky OC. Cry

But doesn't anyone remember the limitations that were part of Sky OC? There used to be a list of them posted on ASRock's website, which is probably gone now for obvious reasons.

Regarding the VID and offset voltage UEFI setting, that behavior may be normal for a non-K processor. That is, the ability to override the VID with an offset. For a non-K processor at stock clock, what is the use of that?

Sky OC worked, but it was far from perfect. All the limitations that did NOT exist in the golden days of over clocking (before Sandy Bridge) that have been added since then were not washed away by Sky OC.

Sky OC tried to use a difference in Skylake processors that exists for the first time since Sandy Bridge. That is, the CPU BCLK is not shared with the PCIe lanes, DMI3 lanes, etc. So the CPU BCLK can be changed without affecting (and crashing) the other things that depend on a stable clock value.

To bad it is not that simple. Other changes along the way since Sandy Bridge, and some new to Skylake, have weird side affects when the CPU BCLK is changed. Like the integrated graphics no longer working, C States no longer functional, and... was it no CPU temperature or no VCore reading, I think the former. For me personally, some of those shortcomings made Sky OC much less attractive.

Another thing, VID and VCore are not the same thing. With Adaptive voltage, the actual VCore can be lower and higher than the VID.

Actually, I want someone to tell me what voltage option(s) are available besides Manual, with Skylake processors.

For example, what is the Auto setting equivalent to?

Is Adaptive still an option with Skylake?

We think we know these things, but do we? Geek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic