ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99E-ITX with 2x16 gb corsair dominator pl. 3ghz
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99E-ITX with 2x16 gb corsair dominator pl. 3ghz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunder86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99E-ITX with 2x16 gb corsair dominator pl. 3ghz
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:27pm
Hi All,

i've just bought a beautiful X99E-ITX board and paired it up with:

- corsair dominator platinum 2x16gb 3000mhz (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15)
- i7 5820
- samsung 950 pro M.2 512GB ssd

bios version 1.20 (from sticker on the board) - should be the updated one with extended ram support

it simply won't post. I've tried 2 or 1 stick, nothing, i get no beep or 3 beeps in infinite loop.
has anybody figured this out?
will the newer bios versions help, even if no extended memory support is mentioned in the change logs?

thanks in advance
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:03pm
Check that you get no beeps with the memory installed, and then 3 beeps with them all removed.

My educated guess ...... the memory is not compatible. At least not with the current BIOS revision.

You'll most likely have to get some older slower 2133 memory for it to boot. Stick with the more common memory names if you do and you stand a better chance at the booting long enough to up-flash with. Remember, you need a stable system to flash, so first determine it's stable with these slower sticks before proceeding.

A friend or nearby computer shop maybe have some you change them too just for stability testing and flashing. Instead of buying?

BTW, what revision is it currently running? Duh wardog! I now see, 1.20

Edited by wardog - 31 Jan 2016 at 5:14pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:45pm
This is a very common issue on X99 systems since Skylake hit. The issue stems from a large influx of "more affordable" DDR4 RAM hitting the market. Prior to Skylake there were no cheaper DDR4 kits and most maxed out at about 2666 frequency. Now with Skylake being a mainstream platform we have seen a multitude of new DDR4 kits hit the marked with higher frequencies and lower prices. The problem is that many of these have not been tested or certified for the X99 platform. It is all but impossible for motherboard manufacturers to keep up with the sheer volume of new kits on the x99 platform and as such many kits either have no support or require a BIOS flash to the latest version in order to function.

Personally, I blame the RAM manufacturers for not backward supporting the X99 platform, at the very least allowing for post at 2133. I suspect though that the architecture of Skylake is different enough to make this difficult/impossible.

Try what Wardog suggested, that should get you up and running but bare in mind that the particular kit you purchased may still not be compatible after a BIOS update. If so you can contact Tech Support directly or alternatively return it in favor of another, compatible kit.
thunder86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunder86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 4:50pm
thanks for the answers, will borrow or buy a slower DDR4 stick and test it out.

thunder86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunder86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 5:54am
thanks all for the support i can confirm that the above mentioned RAM memories DO work on teh X99E-ITX, bios version 1.40 fixed it.
they are now stably running at 3ghz with intel XMP profile
hope this will be useful to other users too
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:10am
No Problem. I'm Happy to hear you have it running.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic