ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdratcliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAM
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:37pm

hi I have 4x 16GB sticks but I have an issue with B450M PRO4 Hardware reserved memory shown in windows

if i use A1/2 i get full 32GB RAM if i use a1/b1 i get 32GB ram if i use B1/2 i get full 32GB ram .

if I add any more RAM Sticks
A1/2 + b1 OR B1/2 + A1 I get 32 but shown 48gb and 16gb in Hardware reserved memory

if I add all 4 sticks of RAM sticks I get full 64GB shown in windows but 32gb reserved
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 1:51am
Your issue could be being caused by multiple things. What are your full system specs? Heres some things you can try;

1. If you aren't already using it flash to the latest firmware available
2. If you are using an APU look for any options in the UEFI relating to iGPU dedicated memory usage and adjust to say 4GB rather than leaving the setting on "Auto".
3. Also look for any options relating to memory mapping
4. Click Start > Run > type; msconfig. Click the "Boot" tab, select "Advanced Options", untick the "Maximum Memory" box, click "OK", "Apply", and restart your system.

While you're at it you might as well do this as well;

Start > Search > Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager then double-click ShippedWithReserves and change "Value data" from 1 to 0 to disable the reserved space Windows gobbles up.
Jdratcliffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdratcliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:27pm
Hey i tried, the boot options under msconfig but no joy - check the reg key and it was already disabled full system specs here..

im not sure if i can update the BIOS as im running a Ryzen 7 2700x

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Summit Ridge
64GB RAM
ASROck B450 Pro4
4gb Nvida Geforce GTX 1070

ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:39pm
Your R7 2700X is supported on all firmware versions the reason for the warning on the support page is due to the CPU being older it is no longer being actively optimised for which might lead to undetected bugs cropping up in new firmware releases. I still test with a 2700X on a lot of mainboards as well as a 3700X and haven't found any serious issues with the older 2700X (well, except on the X570 Tomahawk, that board has rubbish memory compatibility if you are using a 2000 series CPU) so I don't see any danger signs for you. If the firmware update doesn't work you'll need to shoot asrock support an email as its something they will need to look into most likely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdratcliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:42pm
Ok, I'll try that today and update Thank you!
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
No prob I had a dig around the firmware for your board with one of my tools today for you and couldn't see any settings that would be causing your issue the only thing that comes close is the UMA Buffer Size (which coincidentally does allow up to a 16GB frame buffer) but that option shouldn't be applicable to you (or even visible) as you aren't using an APU so this one is definitely an email to asrock support if the latest 5.00 firmware doesn't sort your issue out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdratcliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 5:31am
Ok, no joy still updated to BIOS version 4.80 dated 10/03/21 and im still seeing 32GB Ram reserved - i have looking into the setting for virtual ram but i can't see any if you have ideas please let me know @ket
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 6:37am
I think at this point you probably need to start doing some hardware testing. Download HCI memtest, remove 2 memory sticks leaving the other two in a dual channel configuration and run HCI memtest, let it get to at least 300%. If you don't get any detected errors remove the two sticks and repeat the process for the other two sticks. Assuming those sticks also pass move them to the alternate DIMM banks and test again, if you don't get any errors remove those two sticks and test the other two sticks in the DIMM banks you just removed the other two sticks from.

Basically what we are doing here aside from testing for a bad memory stick is also testing compatibility of your RAM across all DIMM banks. What is the make and model of the memory you have?
Pedr0Tag420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedr0Tag420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:37am
Pls someone help me, I have one A320M-HD and i need to allocate my ram,but i cant find the option "UMA frame buffer size" anywhere, i uptdated the bios and just got more confusing. My version of bios now is 6.20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic