ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B450M Steel Legend, doesnt work after BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Steel Legend, doesnt work after BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Steel Legend, doesnt work after BIOS update
    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:19pm
Hi all, yesterday I updated to the last bios version (3.90) my B450M Steel Legend, since I had my internal SSD (primary disk) often disconnected and Windows crashed. I had always to shut down the PC otherwise SSD was not detected by BIOS. Now my PC doesn't work anymore, showing black screen. LED and FAN is working but no screen is showed.
I already:
1) Clear CMOS using the pin
2) Removed the CMOS battery for all the night (14 hours), with power cable unplugged.
3) Removed SSD, graphic card, memory RAM (one at the time)
4) Tried power on with a USB pendrive with old BIOS file (renamed in CREATIVE.ROM)

Nothing works https://forum.asrock.com/smileys/smiley19.gif

I wrote an email to technical support but I haven't received any reply!!!

I will probably change the brand of my next mainboard. It's unacceptable that I haven't any support since I need an answer to understand if I've to throw away this motherboard to buy a new one or if I will be able to save it.

Someone has a suggestion?

My configuration is: ASROCK B450M Steel Legend, Palit GTX 1070ti JetStrem, RAM XPG spectrix d60 (8Gb X 2), SSD XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 512GB M.2 PCIe

Thanks
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:17am
you have included a lot of info but................

really need to say what cpu you have as it may not be compatable with the newer bios files
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MarkoX72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:47am
You're right   
I forgot to specify my CPU. It's a Ryzen 7 2700.
MarkoX72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:59am
Yes. I read after the BIOS update that the last version of BIOS could be not compatible with Pinnacle Ridge processors. It's a nonsense that a BIOS update, that could stop to working your PC, has been released. It's more than 30 Years that I work in information technology environment and it's the first Time that I have an issue with a Bios update. I'm very angry...
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:48pm
The reason for certain CPUs having their support dropped on older boards like B450 and X470 is due to physical ROM space, something has to give to make room for the newer CPU microcode. Asrock do also clearly state on the firmware download page not to use 3.90 if you have a Pinnacle, Summit, or Raven CPU but on the flipside of the coin I have mentioned for some time in Asrock reviews I've written (hi guys!) that they REALLY need to add a firmware flashback feature its been expected by enthusiasts for years now as it saves considerable inconvenience and time for the end user if a firmware update goes wrong while also having the benefit for Asrock of substantially cutting down on RMAs. Add to this that a firmware flashback feature is actually standard now on pretty much all other manufacturers boards and its more than high time Asrock also added this feature.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:05pm
right i can try to help now
(i asked about the cpu as later bios files did indeed drop support for some)
the 2700 should be fine on the later bios not recommended but it should boot

you can try remove cmos battery AND POWER FROM WALL
press pc case power button a few times to discharge the board
refit battery
now try just one stick of ram in slot a2 (2nd away from cpu socket)
and try to power on the system ALLOWING UPTO 5 MINS and maybe a few failed boot cycles e.g. starting and restarting without any video on screen this will be memory training
if still no good
i would advise repeat the above advice BUT USE ANOTHER DDR4 stick borrowed from someone if possible , as different bios versions have very different support for any particular ram stick and model
i actually have a generic stick of ddr4 2133 here that i need to do the first initial boot of my taichi after a bios update or even a cmos clear
after the first boot i can then shove my 3866mhz gskills right in no problem, but it will not boot from them after a cmos clear
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MarkoX72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:41pm
Many thanks. As I previuosly said I already lefted the PC more than 12 hours with CMOS battery removed and (of course) I tried before to discharge the mainboard using the power button pushed several times.
Now the PC is more than 24 hours without battery and this evening I will try with the tricks you told me.
I will let you know if I will be succeed.
In any case remove the support for old CPU for which a chipset has been deployed (B450M in this case) to support newer one is something absolutely wrong for my persepctive. If I want to move to a new CPU, I will be more inclined to purchase also a new motherboard with a new chipset (B550 for example).
BIOS update should be used mainly to fix issues and stability (in my case the problem I had with my SSD).

Many thanks again datonyb.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:59pm
Manufacturers don't have a choice but to drop support for some CPUs on older boards in order to support new CPUs because the older boards don't have ROM chips large enough to store all of the data. Newer firmware revisions will typically focus on bugs and other issues related to newer CPUs so once updates start to come out that aren't focusing on your generation of CPU you know its time to stop updating the firmware anyway as there aren't going to be any improvements that will benefit you.
MarkoX72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

Manufacturers don't have a choice but to drop support for some CPUs on older boards in order to support new CPUs because the older boards don't have ROM chips large enough to store all of the data. Newer firmware revisions will typically focus on bugs and other issues related to newer CPUs so once updates start to come out that aren't focusing on your generation of CPU you know its time to stop updating the firmware anyway as there aren't going to be any improvements that will benefit you.

I'm not agree at all. B450 chipset was born for 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen. The motherboards manufacturers should improve stability and fix issue for that CPUs. If I want to move to a 3rd generation I will purchase a motherboard with B550 chipset (or X570) which are optimized for the new architecture and support new PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, etc.

Intel from this point of view is more "professional" than AMD and their users have less problem than the AMD ones, for the Reason that AMD would have support for all the CPUS for all the Chipset but this is how to mend a dress for a boy everytime he is growing...
MarkoX72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkoX72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

right i can try to help now
(i asked about the cpu as later bios files did indeed drop support for some)
the 2700 should be fine on the later bios not recommended but it should boot

you can try remove cmos battery AND POWER FROM WALL
press pc case power button a few times to discharge the board
refit battery
now try just one stick of ram in slot a2 (2nd away from cpu socket)
and try to power on the system ALLOWING UPTO 5 MINS and maybe a few failed boot cycles e.g. starting and restarting without any video on screen this will be memory training
if still no good
i would advise repeat the above advice BUT USE ANOTHER DDR4 stick borrowed from someone if possible , as different bios versions have very different support for any particular ram stick and model
i actually have a generic stick of ddr4 2133 here that i need to do the first initial boot of my taichi after a bios update or even a cmos clear
after the first boot i can then shove my 3866mhz gskills right in no problem, but it will not boot from them after a cmos clear

Yesterday I tried as you suggest me and it worked well...many, many, many thanks datonyb.

It seems related to my DDR4 that is not working well at 3200Mhz. After the first good reboot (the BIOS setted the single DDR to 2667 Mhz at 1,2V) I configured them with XMS profile 1 (3200Mhz at 1,35V) and the motherboard again failed to boot. I resetted using only the CLEARCMOS jumper and the DDR works again at 2667Mhz. Then I used the XMS profile 2 (3000Mhz at 1,35V) and the motherboard was able to boot without any problem.

Many thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic