ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 OC Formula, GPU in PCIE4 slot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 OC Formula, GPU in PCIE4 slot?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:12am
In the manual (http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/Manual/Z170%20OC%20Formula.pdf) it states that I can have a single GPU in the PCIE1 slot and says 'N/A' for the other slots, but I'm wondering if this means that I can't put the GPU in the PCIE4 slot?

The reason I'd prefer to do this is because the GPU will be difficult to remove with my cooler (NH-D15) in the PCIE1 slot, and even if it only runs at x8 in PCIE4, my research suggests it will only be a 2% performance reduction in most applications.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Edited by Naxos - 30 Jan 2016 at 4:13am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:55am
It is a PCIe device and so should work, even in a PCIe x1 slot (if it is an open ended "flex" slot) so yes it should work fine. 
Naxos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:26am
Thanks Xaltar!

Any guess as to whether it would run at x16 in PCIE4? The manual isn't very clear on these things!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:17pm
PCIe 4 is connected as an x8 slot, if you look at the back of the motherboard you will note that only PCIe 1 is electrically connected as x16.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic